Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Plug wires / coils Z1 02 Mar 2006 07:07 #27518

• dutchz
  • dutchz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Do plug wires just pull off the stock coils on a Z1? The seem to be pretty stuck :whistle: I don't want to damage anything...
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plug wires / coils Z1 02 Mar 2006 07:56 #27527

• wireman
  • Visitor
i think they are epoxied in there.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Plug wires / coils Z1 02 Mar 2006 08:03 #27528

• dutchz
  • dutchz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks, it didn't look like there was a plug there. Good thing I stopped yanking at em :laugh:
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Plug wires / coils Z1 02 Mar 2006 08:21 #27529

• wireman
  • Visitor
i think wired george did a post on removing them once,maybe check with him.:whistle:

Plug wires / coils Z1 03 Mar 2006 06:59 #27825

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
It wasn't me who did a post on replacing wires on Z1 coils. Odd Ivan (ibsen22000) did a post where he drilled the epoxy out. I think it wouldn't be all that hard if the wires needed to be replaced... I think there is a stud or spike inside most for making contact with the core of the new wire. Once you have the wire in there, re-epoxy, I guess. I haven't tried it but if the wires are shot, why not take the chance? The alternative is to use a wire splice. If you buy Accel 8.8mm offroad universal wire kit, they provide splices. These are essentially metal sleeves with pins. You cut the old wire and leave a bit... then crimp it into the splice and the teeth on the splice will penetrate the insulation and contact the conductor. You do the same for the new piece of wire. Then you cover the splice up so it doesn't short. I don't much care for this solution but I guess it would work and you don't have to dig around in your coils. Odd Ivar's post contained good pics and comments regarding drilling out the epoxy. He is missed on this site.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: