First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP

More
12 Mar 2009 21:39 #271515 by inline79
That off/run/off switch would do it, why not try kick starting it or recharging the battery?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
More
12 Mar 2009 22:02 #271519 by 1L9T7D8 1000
Replied by 1L9T7D8 1000 on topic First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP
Awesome, I hope that was the problem. The battery is on the charger. My kickstarter is stuck and won't flip out, but I've never actually kickstarted a bike before. You can kick start it with a dead battery? can you push start it?

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2009 13:58 #271637 by 1L9T7D8 1000
Replied by 1L9T7D8 1000 on topic First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP
Ok so today I put the battery back in and it fired right up. I rode it a little bit but its still acting funny. Put the multimeter on the battery while it was at idle. 12.4 something was what it read so I revved it a little to like 4000 rpm and it went up to like 12.75 after a bit.
How high should it go if its getting charge??
also found a slightly loose ground by the seat lock, tightened it but that was before I put on the multi meter.
I noticed when I was holding it at 4000 rpm that it was backfiring and even though The throttle was in the same place it was losing rpms. When I rode it, it seemed like it was sputtery in the lower rpms less than 3k. also the idle is erratic.
I just had the carbs rebuilt and electronic ignition and coils installed at tristate cycles in funkstown md. I trust the guy. heard good things from neutral sorces about him and hes got like 10 kzs of all different sorts sitting around.
Guess my next step is to buy the combo unit from z1 next week and go from there. Also gonna get a new battery just for the hell of it.
any one have some input????:huh:

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740

More
13 Mar 2009 14:16 - 13 Mar 2009 14:19 #271645 by keith1
1L9T7D8 1000 wrote:

Ok so today I put the battery back in and it fired right up. I rode it a little bit but its still acting funny. Put the multimeter on the battery while it was at idle. 12.4 something was what it read so I revved it a little to like 4000 rpm and it went up to like 12.75 after a bit.
How high should it go if its getting charge??
also found a slightly loose ground by the seat lock, tightened it but that was before I put on the multi meter.
I noticed when I was holding it at 4000 rpm that it was backfiring and even though The throttle was in the same place it was losing rpms. When I rode it, it seemed like it was sputtery in the lower rpms less than 3k. also the idle is erratic.
I just had the carbs rebuilt and electronic ignition and coils installed at tristate cycles in funkstown md. I trust the guy. heard good things from neutral sorces about him and hes got like 10 kzs of all different sorts sitting around.
Guess my next step is to buy the combo unit from z1 next week and go from there. Also gonna get a new battery just for the hell of it.
any one have some input????:huh:

it isnt charging enough...without getting out the book you should be getting around 14. something at 4k....your old battery could be suspect......let the
battery sit a day and measure across the terminals with the bike off...if you get anything less than 12....it be junk....keith....hows the ribs?
Last edit: 13 Mar 2009 14:19 by keith1.

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2009 15:40 #271665 by 1L9T7D8 1000
I got an awesome purple bruise from my armpit to my waist on the left and my elbow is still a little swolen. thanks for asking.

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740

More
13 Mar 2009 23:43 #271792 by nads.com
trianglelaguna wrote:

o.k ...first off ...always list the bikes injuries first....after all that was what scared me most...poor bike.....as for you..i'm 300(on atkins diet 2 days now)..you floated like a feather.....did you hurt the ground?
But seriously all that matters is that you're o.k.....folks have got dead or worse doing simple spills so each time we dodge the bummer train ...all is well....plus the folks that care about us,more than we can imagine ..it would tear them up if you got hurt bad ...So you just had a 100% good day.....a bike is a bike...not flesh and blood and nerves......
there is a white wire/wires under the left side cover one is white and red usually and they merge at a connector..if they are not secure...tehy mimic your symptoms often.....see if they are plugged in tight ...they work free and are a common start /ride/die/start/die//ride/stall cuase.....if it was your battery dying down or losing charge you would have a hard time pulling revs and sputter when gaining speed /revs...and it would crank way weak and be really noticable...or just go chunr chug churn churn dead when you hit the starter button.........just some ideas and issues i've had that were similair.....good luck.....now you get do some crash repairs when you get it running beats .......being in intensive care...any day..and good luck bro....peace craig

Atkins DIET? Dude just quit eating foods high in fat and the weight will MELT off. DAILY. Your high protein low carb diet will make u drag .... . I've lost 30 to 60lbs more times than i can count on both hands and know all about it. It's the fastest way and the best. Just be ready to eat! Those 9cal. per fat grams that u dont eat will cause a calorie defecit like u wouldnt bellieve. And you will get HUNGRY. AND, youll be afraid to eat. THEN, youll lose hope. Rule number one DO NOT make your self hungry. Eat 10 times a day if u want. STAY awaay from the fats. With your normal eating habits of the past u ate high fat and high carbs. Your body stored the fat and burned the carbs. Over and over. The carbs caused insulin reaction and bcaa's rounded up all the free floating fats in your blood stream and DROVE them into storage. DONT put fat into the blood. Your body uses fats every day and the weight will literally FALL off. Don't starve your body of energy by cutting out the fuel it uses. Burning protiens converted for energy and sustanance is like burning diesel in a gas engine its sht fuel. Every body always asked me how do u do it? Now u dont have to ask. This is something im sharing with you because i know how hard it can be and have been around the block. Just recently lost 33lbs and started eating the fatty stuff for a good month now. IT's coming BAACK! And whts nice about that? I knew it would. A word of advice, didnt I say that already? oh yeah. Read what I said over a few times and focus on the key points, remember dont be afraid to eat when u get hungry. When I do this diet I lose weight ev single day. ANd once u lose some u can pig out like crazy couple times a week and wont gain a lb. Read labels on ev thing you touch. Get to know the fat content. If you go too low on fat youll notice in the body in two days so dont get to carried away, and remember INSTINCT/ developing a feel for the road. If u do this diet youll end up eating 3times more food and its gonna confuse the heck out of u but the scale wont lie. Ev one always told me ev time i see u your EATING. They didnt know that with one high fat meal they took in more calories than i did all day. Stay low on the sugar too it speeds things up. Now how did u know I had the answer to your problem? It's because im nads man im nads.com BOOYAH!

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2009 07:32 - 14 Mar 2009 07:34 #271844 by 1L9T7D8 1000
[/quote]Atkins DIET? Dude just quit eating foods high in fat and the weight will MELT off. DAILY. Your high protein low carb diet will make u drag .... . I've lost 30 to 60lbs more times than i can count on both hands and know all about it. It's the fastest way and the best. Just be ready to eat! Those 9cal. per fat grams that u dont eat will cause a calorie defecit like u wouldnt bellieve. And you will get HUNGRY. AND, youll be afraid to eat. THEN, youll lose hope. Rule number one DO NOT make your self hungry. Eat 10 times a day if u want. STAY awaay from the fats. With your normal eating habits of the past u ate high fat and high carbs. Your body stored the fat and burned the carbs. Over and over. The carbs caused insulin reaction and bcaa's rounded up all the free floating fats in your blood stream and DROVE them into storage. DONT put fat into the blood. Your body uses fats every day and the weight will literally FALL off. Don't starve your body of energy by cutting out the fuel it uses. Burning protiens converted for energy and sustanance is like burning diesel in a gas engine its sht fuel. Every body always asked me how do u do it? Now u dont have to ask. This is something im sharing with you because i know how hard it can be and have been around the block. Just recently lost 33lbs and started eating the fatty stuff for a good month now. IT's coming BAACK! And whts nice about that? I knew it would. A word of advice, didnt I say that already? oh yeah. Read what I said over a few times and focus on the key points, remember dont be afraid to eat when u get hungry. When I do this diet I lose weight ev single day. ANd once u lose some u can pig out like crazy couple times a week and wont gain a lb. Read labels on ev thing you touch. Get to know the fat content. If you go too low on fat youll notice in the body in two days so dont get to carried away, and remember INSTINCT/ developing a feel for the road. If u do this diet youll end up eating 3times more food and its gonna confuse the heck out of u but the scale wont lie. Ev one always told me ev time i see u your EATING. They didnt know that with one high fat meal they took in more calories than i did all day. Stay low on the sugar too it speeds things up. Now how did u know I had the answer to your problem? It's because im nads man im nads.com BOOYAH![/quote]

Thanks for the health lesson.Whats it got to do with my bike?

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740
Last edit: 14 Mar 2009 07:34 by 1L9T7D8 1000.

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Mar 2009 15:53 #272190 by 1L9T7D8 1000
Today I went out and tested the battery. the multimeter said 12.48, so apparently its holding charge. I
started it and revved it a little but it only went up to 12.78 or so. So I guess I need to go back to the charging system. I should have the money this week for the setup from z1. gonna get that this week, put it on and go from there. I'll keep you guys posted.Thanks

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740

More
17 Mar 2009 17:31 - 17 Mar 2009 17:34 #272840 by toadson
I would agree with whoever said that it should be charging around 14 volts when you rev it up. If your rectifier is buzzing, it could very well be bad. If I were you, I would check out the wiring around the neck of the frame. When I bought my 79 LTD, I found a number of broken wires around the neck, which makes sense since you are constantly stretching/moving them when you turn the handle bars. Self powered test lights work great for checking wires. Just clamp the ground to the end of the wire, and touch the probe to the other end. If it lights up, your wire is most likely in good shape. Sometimes though, you get a break in the wire and it will SOMETIMES make connection. A few of my wires near the neck of the frame were this way, so it was a bit tricky tracking down the broken section of the wire.

I also had an old Yamaha that someone had used quick connects on. The electrical system was not charging at all, and my battery would die after a 45-60 minute ride. These quick connectors were corroded, so I cut them off and soldered the wires together and used heat shrink tubing. If you see any quick connectors on the wiring, I would almost bet that would cause your problem.

By the way, the junk quick connects I found on my bike look like this:

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872
Last edit: 17 Mar 2009 17:34 by toadson.

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Mar 2009 12:21 #276778 by 1L9T7D8 1000
Finally got the reg/rect from z1 put on today. But nothing happened. it still isn't charging enough. I've checked all the wires at the neck, and pretty much every other wire on the bike. I don't know what to do? I bought a new battery. I'm starting to get really frusterated with the whole damn thing. Guess I'll have to save up some money and let tristate cycles in funkstown, md, try to figure it out. I have a tendancy to sell things when they piss me off, but I'm to far in on this bike for that. We'll see what happens. Any suggestions?:angry:

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740

More
30 Mar 2009 12:40 #276786 by MFolks
The alternator may not be working properly. To check this first fully charge the battery,disconnect the plug going to the regulator/rectifier, start the bike and with the engine warmed up take it to 4000 rpm, with a friends help, read with a multimeter set on Alternating Current(A.C) and the range at 200 the output of the alternator. It should read about 50 volts A.C. Read this in all three wiring configurations as the output is three phase.

If the output is low the wire windings or stator may have an open or shorted wire in it.

The websites for replacement stators are:

1. www.electrosport.com (it has a troubleshooting diagram)
2. www.regulatorrectifier.com
3. www.ricksmotorsportselectrics.com
4. www.rmstator.com
5. www.customrewind.com
6. www.rickystator.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Mar 2009 13:35 #276797 by 1L9T7D8 1000
Thanks, I was just reading the manual to see how to check the stator. I love you guys, man!

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740