First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
More
05 Mar 2009 18:13 #269895 by 1L9T7D8 1000
I'm fine but shes seen better days!
Today I took out my KZ for the first time, legally. She ran good for a bit, then shut off at a light after bsome sputtering. When I went to restart it was like the battery was dead. I wait like five minutes and it starts but is running weird, like cutting out and not responding to the throttle. Then I turn around and head home, bike shuts of going round a turn I guess, and we both hit the ground. I feel so bad cause this is a one owner bike and I trashed it the first day. anyhow, I pickm up the bike and check it out. but it like the battery is dead again, I wait like a half hour while I call my brother and tend my wounds. after pushing that big bitch about three blocks, I decide to try it again, and it starts but after a few feet starts running shitty again. after some pushing and some really slow riding we make it home in one piece.
I got a big bruise on my elbow, a gash I glued shut on my knee and some sore ribs, I weigh like 290 so when I hit the ground I usually hit pretty hard. Lol. shes got a scaped up clutch cover, brand new and newly bent superbike bars and the new grip is all chewed up, the way I got the turn signals on the bars made them hit the tank and theres a big ass dent now, but I think we'll be ok.
I think its the stator, What do you guys think???Felt like when the alternator went bad on my car.
any suggestions???

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2009 18:18 #269897 by Mark Wing
What a bummer, I'm glad you'll be OK. Sorry to hear about the bike. I'm not sure what your problem is but it does sound like a charging problem. Was the battery fully charged when you left the house?
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
05 Mar 2009 18:28 #269902 by keith1
glad your o k.....somethings up with electrical system
....keith

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
05 Mar 2009 18:32 #269903 by l0g1c
My first thought was loose or corroded wires. Start with the simple stuff and work your way up.

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

• 1L9T7D8 1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
More
05 Mar 2009 19:27 #269909 by 1L9T7D8 1000
Replied by 1L9T7D8 1000 on topic First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP
Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to check all the connections good and go from there.

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
1981 HONDA CX500 DELUX

HAGERSTOWN MD 21740

More
05 Mar 2009 19:40 #269910 by MFolks
You might consider instaling a monitor (LED type) to check the battery condition. The 82 KZ's had (I believe) an electric tach that when a button was pushed to check battery voltages. I've seen the LED monitors at either dennis kirk or JP cycles website.

You might have lost at least one of the three phases from the stator or the regulator/rectifier has died.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
05 Mar 2009 19:59 #269922 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP
o.k ...first off ...always list the bikes injuries first....after all that was what scared me most...poor bike.....as for you..i'm 300(on atkins diet 2 days now)..you floated like a feather.....did you hurt the ground?
But seriously all that matters is that you're o.k.....folks have got dead or worse doing simple spills so each time we dodge the bummer train ...all is well....plus the folks that care about us,more than we can imagine ..it would tear them up if you got hurt bad ...So you just had a 100% good day.....a bike is a bike...not flesh and blood and nerves......
there is a white wire/wires under the left side cover one is white and red usually and they merge at a connector..if they are not secure...tehy mimic your symptoms often.....see if they are plugged in tight ...they work free and are a common start /ride/die/start/die//ride/stall cuase.....if it was your battery dying down or losing charge you would have a hard time pulling revs and sputter when gaining speed /revs...and it would crank way weak and be really noticable...or just go chunr chug churn churn dead when you hit the starter button.........just some ideas and issues i've had that were similair.....good luck.....now you get do some crash repairs when you get it running beats .......being in intensive care...any day..and good luck bro....peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
05 Mar 2009 23:12 #269954 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP
Sorry about the crash. It's very easy to tell if the alternator is charging: measure the batt voltage and rev the engine. It will go up to about 14V if it's charging. It will sit at 12V if not. You can usually see the headlight brighten from idle speed as you rev the engine up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 Mar 2009 00:16 #269956 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP
Like bountyhunter said-check the voltage at the battery. I doubt it's the stator it's more than likely the regulator. Now you have an excuse to get one of the reg/rec combo units from Jeff.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
06 Mar 2009 04:40 - 06 Mar 2009 04:42 #269975 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic First Ride on the KZ, First Wreck on the KZ!! HELP
Had a similar situation on a Suzuki I restored way back when.... 25 years ago....

Starts & runs fine for ~ 15-30 minutes or less pending if you have your lights on, hitting the horn, revving the engine etc....

Mine turned out to be this one little SOB grounding wire wasn't grounded to the frame properly.... I had painted the frame thinking the bold threads being non painted would be a good enough ground... Well I was wrong!

Took me awhile, ok days and many more trips and pushing that friggin bike back home until I figured it out. :angry: SO here I am, checking the carbs, the head/valves, the electrical, the regulators, the stator etc.... What a PITA!

My buddy who was more electrical than I at the time, says "Scrap that ground point paint off the frame, re-charge the battery and re-connect that ground"... problem went away...

I was happy it was fixed but pissed at the same time for I did something so stupid... Ok, it happens.... :laugh:

OMR

BTW, other than being sore, glad to hear nothing too serious happened to you or your bike...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 06 Mar 2009 04:42 by Old Man Rock.

More
06 Mar 2009 05:29 #269984 by BSKZ650
Glad you are ok for the most part, parts can be replaced,, body parts cannot.
what seems strange is that it starts after sitting a while.
It does sound like a charging/battery issue.
step one, check the battery to make sure it is good
two fully charge the battery
three, check the voltage going to the battery when the bike is running.

after that, then the chasing down the problem can begin

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
06 Mar 2009 05:33 #269987 by Bluemeanie
Been down myself and know how you feel. Glad you and bike will be OK. Yea, definitaly sounds like running straight off the battery with nothing going in. After you wait a bit the battery recovers a little just enough to start. You need to check your charging system like the guys say. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!