plug wire order

More
04 Mar 2009 14:12 - 04 Mar 2009 14:15 #269673 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic plug wire order
For more info about Dyna III from prior threads, could go the "Search Forum" box (toward the top right of screen)
and type in DYNA III
then click on "Go"
which should return links to several previous KZR threads.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 Mar 2009 14:15 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2009 14:30 #269676 by Patton
According to kawasaki.com, the 1980 KZ650 oem ignition was a points system.

Would presume a previous owner converted to Dyna III electronic ignition, and guessing that perhaps this was done before the Dyna-S was introduced.

Am thinking ignition performance between Dyna III and Dyna-S is probably equal. With the Dyna-S being more compact (without the black-box) and therefore somewhat easier to install.

Betting my nickel your Dyna III, when properly installed, will still be working just fine.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Mar 2009 19:50 #269743 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic plug wire order
FYI... loudhvx brought up a good point. There is a "points cam" type thing that sits on the end of the crank shaft. It has a magnet embedded in it on the Dyna S and maybe the Dyna III... not sure as I haven't installed one. Anyway, if it does, the magnet is the size of a pencil eraser in diameter and painted over so is easy to miss. This magnet goes to the 9 oclock position when the 1&4 cylinders are at TDC. It is easy to put the cam on backwards or 180 degrees out. If you do, all you have to do is switch the 1&4 plug wires with the 2&3 but it is better to reorient the cam correctly so we won't have to go through all this wiring talk bwhahaha

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
06 Mar 2009 06:24 #270004 by Jdub
Replied by Jdub on topic plug wire order
patton, thanks for the useful info. i havent got another chance to work on it yet. but hopefully tomorrow afternoon ill be able to get it all sorted out

wg, i didnt see any eraser sized magnet on mine. so maybe its just a dyna s thing. or maybe im just blind. lol

anyway, before i get all that stuff figured out, i have to find out my i lost all power to my bike. it was working fine, but now when i turn the ignition, i get no juice. brand new battery too.

More
06 Mar 2009 06:35 #270009 by Patton
Would double-check soundness of ground connection where negative battery cable attaches to engine.

Also assure good clean tight connection of each cable to battery terminal.

And check the fuse and fuse wiring connections.

Good Luck! :cheer:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
06 Mar 2009 06:40 #270012 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic plug wire order
yeah just double check that all the males go to a female...under the tank where your working under the sidecovers and in the controls and head lights...mine does this when i work on it sometimes cuase everything is so crowded and stretched that a single black/or white can get bumped loose.....i'll bet thats it.....you can take a little blue painters tape and a fine point sharpie a mark stuff to in the future......good luck.....craig.....dYna 111

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
06 Mar 2009 06:41 #270013 by Jdub
Replied by Jdub on topic plug wire order
my first thought was the fuse. so, i tried to check it, but couldnt find it.. i know, that sounds a little sketchy, but its already pretty evident to me that the previous owner did some crafty wiring work. where is the fuse 'supposed' to be?

More
06 Mar 2009 06:43 #270014 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic plug wire order
Check fuses and all connections as to why you have no power.

As far as the cam possibly being out 180 degrees, if when you've got power again, and everything seems wired up correctly but she will not start, try switching the green and black wires to the coils. Instead of green to green, black to black, switch them around and then try starting her.
My bike's cam on the advancer was out 180*. I didn't know.
In the Spring after having some wiring apart, she wouldn't start. I switched the green and black connections and she fired right up.
I then found out the cam was off 180*. It'd been like that for over a year.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
06 Mar 2009 06:45 #270015 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic plug wire order
It is a SMALL indentation that is the size of a pencil eraser and painted. IT IS THERE... I mentioned it the way I did because you wouldn't normally notice it.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
06 Mar 2009 06:47 - 06 Mar 2009 06:49 #270016 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic plug wire order
some are in little black matchbox/inkpad shaped boxes that snap open...they hang off or tuck in behind little tabs under the left side cover usualy...dif bike than mine.....i allways think fusses too but mine is allways cept once a wire that has come free..when in your fuse box check to see if the p.o left ant extra correct back up fuses in there too...if not tuck a few in good luck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 06 Mar 2009 06:49 by trianglelaguna.