plug wire order

More
04 Mar 2009 09:02 #269632 by Jdub
plug wire order was created by Jdub
hey all! awesome site, been reading the info on here for a while. i have a really dumb question that i havent been able to find the answer to anywhere.

been building an 80 kz650 from the ground up for 3 months. its time to start putting the electrical back on and i dont remember which order the plug wires go in (1-4). when i took them off, i told myself i wouldnt forget. i also didnt think it would take 3 months. :unsure:

any help would be appreciated. TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2009 10:16 #269637 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic plug wire order
As you sit on the bike the left coil fires plugs 1 & 4 and the right coil fires 2 & 3. The sparkplugs are numbered left to right 1,2,3,&4 It makes no matter which lead from the coil as they are a dual set up. Just make sure the primary(smaller wires) goes to the correct coil(s).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Mar 2009 10:37 #269641 by Jdub
Replied by Jdub on topic plug wire order
Thank you sir. i will give that a shot.

More
04 Mar 2009 10:43 #269643 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic plug wire order
Just to confirm something... the right and left coil are kind of arbitrary as far as which is which. What makes the 1 & 4 coil the 1 & 4 coil is the connection by the black wire coming off the ignition and the 2 & 3 coil is connected by the green. It doesn't matter whether the 1 & 4 coils is on the left or right. I have seen them mounted backwares as the 1 and 4 is normally mounted on the left but it doesn't matter as long as the plug wires go where they should.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Mar 2009 10:49 #269645 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic plug wire order
exactly B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Mar 2009 11:09 #269649 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic plug wire order
The coils on the big bikes and small bikes are layed out different.

On the 550's and 650's (and presumably the 750-4), the left or rear set of points connect to the black wire which fires the right coil which is connected to cylinders 1 and 4. The right or front set of points connect to the green wire which fires the left coil which is connected to cylinders 2 and 3. In order for this to work, the points cam has to be in the original stock orientation. It is easy to reassemble the advancer with the cam in 180 degrees out.

On the 900 and 1000's and 1100's the green-2-3-coil is on the right and the black-1-4-coil is on the left. The points still fire the respective cylinders the same as in the smaller bikes, it's just the arbitrary location of the coils that are different.

More
04 Mar 2009 11:37 - 04 Mar 2009 11:40 #269654 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic plug wire order
And regardless of color, just assure the wire from left side Dyna-S module (or points) goes to whichever coil is firing outside cylinders 1 and 4 (no matter where the coil is fitted to the bike).

And the wire from right side Dyna-S module (or points) goes to whichever coil is firing inside cylinders 2 and 3 (no matter where the coil is fitted to the bike).

Dyna-S has a third wire to both modules which feeds positive switched battery voltage to each module. This is often spliced into an appropriate wire from the bike harness. (Points systems do not use such third wire.)

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2009 11:40 by Patton.

More
04 Mar 2009 11:39 #269655 by Jdub
thanks, i appreciate it guys. i thought it went 1-4, left to right at first. but when i tried to put them in that order, the wires didnt seem to wanna bend the ways they needed to in order to fit. after 13 years of sitting in a garage, the bends in the wires had kinda taken a permanent shape. and going 1-4 wasnt the natural fit they had taken on. anyways, we will see.

More
04 Mar 2009 12:01 - 04 Mar 2009 12:03 #269656 by Patton
Jdub wrote:

thanks, i appreciate it guys. i thought it went 1-4, left to right at first. but when i tried to put them in that order, the wires didnt seem to wanna bend the ways they needed to in order to fit. after 13 years of sitting in a garage, the bends in the wires had kinda taken a permanent shape. and going 1-4 wasnt the natural fit they had taken on. anyways, we will see.

When an oem igniter system is being used (instead of Dyna-S or points), I believe the wires from the pulser located underneath the points cover are routed to the igniter. And wires from the igniter go to the coils.

Regardless of which ignition system is fitted (Dyna, points or igniter), one coil fires plugs in outside cylinders 1 and 4, and the other coil fires plugs in inside cylinders 2 and 3.

The wiring diagram should of course show the wire colors and routing involved with igniter or points systems.

As already noted, it's possible to install the Dyna rotor or points cam 180 degrees wrong. But I'm uncertain whether this can happen with the igniter system.

Which system is presently on the bike at hand? :unsure:

If needed, there are easy methods to assure correct orientation of the Dyna-S rotor (or points cam) when installing the ignition.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 Mar 2009 12:03 by Patton.

More
04 Mar 2009 12:40 #269663 by Jdub
okay, what youre saying definitely clears up some of the confusion in my head. unfortunately, im not really sure what kind of ignition i have? i know i have a box attached to the frame that says dyna. but i dont know if its a dyna s. it came on the bike when i got it. im going to attach some pictured to show what im talking about.

ive been having some trouble getting it started. but ive yet to determine whether or not its fuel or electric related. ..or both :dry:
Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2009 12:46 #269664 by Jdub
sorry, still getting used to this forums picture posting format. here we go

More
04 Mar 2009 14:03 #269671 by Patton
Z1E no longer carries Dyna III but shows this link to the installation instructions.

Dyna III installation

As I recall, the Dyna III is a perfectly good system.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD