Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

yet another ignition coil / plug wire question... 27 Feb 2006 09:32 #26777

• cary
  • cary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a factory CDI ignition system on my bike... but my plug wires are falling apart. I am thinking of getting the Accel CDI coils and 9mm wires kit for arount 120, or just a set of 7mm wires to fit my old coild for around 25. when I do this I will also do wiredgeorge's coil wiring trick. Any suggestion on which path to take? any performance gain with the aftermarket coils over my later model stockers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

yet another ignition coil / plug wire question... 27 Feb 2006 11:33 #26798

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Are you sure your ignition is a CDI?

Don't use CDI coils on a non-CDI ignition. It will burn out the module. Most, if not all, factory KZ ignitions are Kettering ignitions, whether transistorized or not.

You most likely want 3-ohm coils.

If your stock coils are working fine, new coils won't make much difference.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/02/27 14:35

yet another ignition coil / plug wire question... 27 Feb 2006 11:53 #26806

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The yellow Accel coils add about 10 hp just because of the racy color... Seriously, test the primary and secondary impedence on your stock coils then bring the voltage up to snuff using the relay mod and see how things run before plunking money in Accel products. You can get a new set of Dyna plug wires from www.z1enterprises for about $25 (I think?) in various spiffy colors that already will have the plug caps and metal bits for shoving into the coils included. If you get the red Dyna wires, I have been told that you can expect about a 15 hp gain because red is generally faster color than yellow.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: