How do I rebuild the speedometer?

More
13 Feb 2009 21:13 #264936 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic How do I rebuild the speedometer?
I have used Bob on several sets of gauges. Very reliable and straight foward. Good quality too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2009 09:13 #264995 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic How do I rebuild the speedometer?
Austin, they look great! How bout that little trim ring that goes around to connect them? Is that left looking like factory too or is it just a little crimpy looking? Was looking to get my 79 Perfect. I am going to spend way too much money on that rebuild so I am looking at all of my options. I heard tell that most of the time this guy is good but sometimes you can tell that the gauges have been taken apart which is a very MINOR detail but in a bike show they may take points off for that. Well, at any rate that seems to be the best option available.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
14 Feb 2009 09:18 #264998 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic How do I rebuild the speedometer?
austin3119 wrote:

Yeah, they are pretty awesome. I can't believe he does the work so reasonably. Try and get the gauges redone on an old Triumph..... Just make sure when you reassemble that you use a good amount of weatherstripping for padding (available at your local autoparts store) or the equivalent or your needles will fall off after "x" amount of miles. The old padding discentigrates after 33 years. :) After installing the refurbished gauges they should flex very easily when you try and twist them if that makes sense. If they are rock solid and have no flex, you didn't install them right... Someone did a bunch of "improvements" on mine somewhere during the past 30 years (yeah right) :) You may want to get new grommets as well. I believe they are still available from Kawasaki. Just look at the parts diagram and reinstall exactly as shown.

Z1 enterprises has them I bought them for my bike because the gauges were flopping loose. And you are right, when I first got my 79 over 20 years ago I tried to tighten those bolts on the bottom and well they got firmer alright and then I overtightened one and it broke. :S

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
14 Feb 2009 13:16 #265025 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic How do I rebuild the speedometer?
Bob told me he made a tool that does the magic to the metal ring.
They will come back perfect. He is known world wide for his guages. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
15 Feb 2009 16:57 #265240 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic How do I rebuild the speedometer?
Good timing with this thread. I'm thinking about getting my gauges done too. :)

More
15 Feb 2009 17:35 - 15 Feb 2009 17:41 #265253 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic How do I rebuild the speedometer?
saxjonz wrote:

Austin, they look great! How bout that little trim ring that goes around to connect them? Is that left looking like factory too or is it just a little crimpy looking? Was looking to get my 79 Perfect. I am going to spend way too much money on that rebuild so I am looking at all of my options. I heard tell that most of the time this guy is good but sometimes you can tell that the gauges have been taken apart which is a very MINOR detail but in a bike show they may take points off for that. Well, at any rate that seems to be the best option available.

Trust me, these will be the least of your worries if your going to be entering your bikes in shows. These look great.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2009 17:41 by austin3119.