Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

reg./rect. 1980 01 Mar 2006 07:42 #27284

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Daniel, Welcome to the site. You have already begun your education into advanced KZ Tech 101 I see! bwhahahaha

To give you a short answer, the numbers on your reg/rec are manufacturers numbers and will mean nothing to the parts guy. The parts guy needs the Kawasaki part number. www.buykawasaki.com has the number. Look under parts diagrams and then generator/regulator. ALL the 1980 KZ1000 models shared the same regulator/rectifier. Using this web site to determine the part number will also help you figure out if there were OTHER models; such as later Kawasaki models that ALSO used the same regulator/rectifier. I suggest that since you are something of an electrical novice, that you stay with a unit designed for your bike and make the swap a "plug and play".

Earlier (73-78) Kawasakis 900/1000 models used separate regulators and rectifiers as you have discovered and thus their wiring will be different. LATER KZ1100 models use a different part number so the plug and thus, the wiring will be different.

If you want to buy a plug and play regulator/rectifier, develop a list of models that you can borrow from and watch eBay. The downside is that MANY electrical parts sold on eBay are junk OR buy a new one. I think if you contact www.z1enterprises.com and talk to the owner, he will be able to set you up with the correct (and NEW) part.

FWIW: The stator changed in 79 but they still use 3 wires coming off the stator to carry AC. It would be possible to adapt an older unit or probably a newer if you knew a bit about electrical theory but I like plugging stuff in and having it work as-is!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

. 01 Mar 2006 07:55 #27286

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

reg./rect. 1980 01 Mar 2006 19:22 #27416

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks guys!
Just glad if I can help.

• Page: