79 kz650 coil

More
06 Feb 2009 05:40 #262498 by jwgto
79 kz650 coil was created by jwgto
hello I bought a #1 & 4 coil for my 79 kz650 on ebay and it is a little longer than the original coil on my bike. By longer I mean the actual black plastic coil housing is longer. The two bolts on the coil that attach to the frame are about 1/4" farther apart than the original. I realize that I will have to modify the bracket on the frame to install this coil but I am wondering if it will cause any other problems. I'm assuming it is for a later year 650?!?!

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2009 05:53 #262502 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 79 kz650 coil
The electrical characteristics are more important than size/mount issues which you will need to figure out. Measure the primary and secondary resistance and make sure both coils match. The coil primary and secondary resistance must match the ignition installed on your bike.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
06 Feb 2009 10:19 #262550 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic 79 kz650 coil
Check the numbers molded into the coil bodies. That will tell you something also. If the new coil has "TR" anywhere in the number molded into the plastic then that coil is for a bike that was originally equipped with electronic ignition.
As WG says, though, get out your multimeter and check both windings. Your 79 should/should have points ignition on it as stock so you need a coil with 4-5 ohms on the primary, IIRC.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.