Speedometer question

More
04 Feb 2009 07:41 #262118 by kptnken
Speedometer question was created by kptnken
Just bought a 1981 KZ1000.

The speedometer doesn't work on it. Nor does the fuel gauge. I'd love to fix them.

I saw a 1982 KZ1000 gauge cluster for sale. Will that work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
04 Feb 2009 08:13 #262121 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Speedometer question
pictures are nice. and put your bike info in your signiture like the guys here will help folks to tune in quick to your threads..there are a lot of guys with that bike on this site..i got one as a third project..going slow....i really dont know much about these newer kz's yet...but does yours have an elec pick up(wire from front axle) instead of speedometer cable like the older ones did.. mine does...the old ones usually just need speedo cables once in awhile...your guages might be fine...i got a great shop manual for 1981 kz1000 j used on e-bay for 20 somthing with shipping.. make sure it says "shop" manual.....maybe start there... best of luck and welcome bro.....peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
06 Feb 2009 06:10 #262506 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Speedometer question
Check part numbers on Kawasaki.com parts diagrams for your bike and compare.

I have a 79 KZ100E1 with the same fuel sending unit and fuel gauge and had to go through several sending units to find one that would work and a couple different gauges to find one where the fuel gauge would work. What I am saying is that the fuel gauge is a bit hit or miss.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!