Rectifier/Regulator Combo Unit Replacement ?

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
29 Jan 2009 11:42 #260839 by Strizzzo
Howdy all,

Ordered the bolt on replacement from Z1 ( www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1873 ) as my battery(s) were charging hot. While soft-testing the replacement unit, I found that I seem to have an additional lead.

I plugged the green connector into the electrical panel, connect the ground wire to the ground point, connected the one white wire normally going to the rectifier into the double female connector. However, the existing regulator seems to have another single wire connection that leads back in the main harness to the gauge panel or some such. It's a black/yellow wire that has no corresponding line coming out of the new combo unit.

I'm no electrical whiz - anyone have any idea what this is?

Thanks in advance

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2009 12:08 #260840 by MFolks
If the wire is a solid black with a yellow stripe or tracer; it is probably a ground wire. Most if not all Kawasaki's use this color combination as ground.

If you have already connected a ground wire,I'd double check the wiring to prevent "Smoking" the wiring.

Do you have a factory shop manual with the color coded wiring diagram? This will help in trouble shoorting.

The website www.electrosport.com has a troubleshooting diagram that will help. They can possible answer any questions about regulator/rectifier wiring.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
30 Jan 2009 12:33 #260963 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Rectifier/Regulator Combo Unit Replacement ?
Thanks a lot - appreciate the guidance. I probably shoulda thought to check my diagram before hollering for help...I'll look this weekend.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
31 Jan 2009 07:27 #261112 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Rectifier/Regulator Combo Unit Replacement ?
Strizzo, the green plug connects the reg/rec to the stator. You mentioned other wires. Instead of assuming you understand the function of those wires, why not just state what color these wires are? It would make giving tips on connecting a lot easier. Your new reg/rec has a WHITE, a BLACK/YELLOW and another colored wire? What color is it? The white wire will connect to the wire that comes off the starter solenoid and main fuse. The black/yellow will connect to a ground. There is usually a ground coming off the starter solenoid and it will sometimes be a solid black wire. The other wire you called a ground. It likely ain't. It MAY be the sense wire that connects to the brown sub-circuit on your bike that tells the reg/rec how much juice to put out but without knowing the wire color, that is only a guess. I wouldn't run the bike till this is sorted out as you will end up frying your new reg/rec.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 Feb 2009 08:39 #261705 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Rectifier/Regulator Combo Unit Replacement ?
The black/yellow is unused on that bike. It's a carryover from the early Z1 - the Z1's originally had the ground going through the harness - then Kawasaki switched this to the engine block - but they lef tthe center harness the same.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,