82 KZ1100 charging issue

More
23 Jan 2009 21:04 #259802 by bigpappab
82 KZ1100 charging issue was created by bigpappab
Before I loaded it on the trailer and moved it to Florida I had it in the shop for a carb re-jet and some electrical problems. New battery and stator installed. It was sort of charging but just barely 12 volts. I think he said 11.7
Anyway, it was running great while it ran. I took it out for an 8 mile ride to test it out. First 2 miles it ran like a new bike. Took off from the light and a little hesitation but nothing bad. Cruised steady at 55mph then sputtered. Gave it some more rpms and it cleared up. Next stop it sputtered a lot but I got it going. Last 2 miles were very bad but it did ok as long as the rpms were kept up. It died in the driveway. Battery was dead too.

I'm going to get a new rectifier. Is there anything else it
could it be besides the rectifier? The stator was a new unit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2009 22:47 #259822 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 82 KZ1100 charging issue
Charge the battery, and with the stator disconnected at the plug for the regulator/rectifier start the engine and check the yellow wires(or the wires from the stator as they can vary in color). Rev the engine to about 4K and with a multimeter(analog or digital see what the output voltage is.

It should be about 50 volts Alternating current(A.C.) if it is less I'd suspect a faulty stator.

My Factory Service Manual for my 82 GPZ1100 B2 has a ohm test for checking the stator. It reads:

Meter range Ohm X1 with the regulator/rectifier disconnected put the meter leads on the plug and do a combination or testing between all of the stator output leads.

The range is .036 to .054 Ohms. If there is more resistance or no reading between any two leads the stator may have an open winding or a short to ground.(I'd check any of the output leads to ground too).

This test might require a helper to hold the meter while you rev the engine for the voltage check.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.