Wiring an Acewell 2803AB

More
05 Jan 2009 05:23 #256234 by Oznative
Wiring an Acewell 2803AB was created by Oznative
Happy New Year all you Kz-nuts. I have a quick question for anyone that has installed the Acewell speedo/tach computer.

I received the 2803 AB under the tree for Christmas. Is there a magic way to wire it up? The Acewell is grounded through its body. There is only one wire for each function i.e., left, right turn signal, oil, high beam, Neutral and hazard. The oil and Neutral will light if grounded but all the others need to be tied to 12V. Can I just use the existing wires +12Vdc that powers these lights now and tape up the ground? The ground will be through the meter. I know how to make it work but I was just curious as to how everyone else was wiring these up. Thanks a million

1977 KZ1000 A-1 Just north of Boston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2009 10:06 #256264 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Wiring an Acewell 2803AB
I got the 2853 Acewell and it had 4 plugs: 1) Single yellow wire for RPM's, 2) 4-prong plug for ground, +V-Switched, +V-full time, fuel sensor +V side, 3) 2-wire plug for the speedo sensor, 4) 6 wire plug for turn, hazards, neutral, high beam, oil.

I hooked up the oil, turn, high low, hazards, neutral the same as stock, and hooked the fuel indicator to the acewell and the other side to ground.

Other than that it was pretty straight forward. I hooked the yellow RPM wire into the green plug for the left coil so I didn't have an inductive sensor. The only problem I'm running into with that is picking the right number of sensors per revolution, it should be 1, but the resulting RPM's were too high. I am getting some resistor spark plugs to see if I can eliminate possible interference. When I get it mounted back up I will let you know how well it works.

Otherwise they are pretty straight forward to wire up. Though a not on the physical mounting, I built a plate that goes over the top of the stock speedo/tach mounts and then has a hole for the acewell to bolt to. I found that the acewell was tipped too far forward and I couldn't read it unless I tucked way down on the tank. So I bent the mount about 10-15 degrees and now it is good from sitting up to laying on the tank. Yours may be different.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
05 Jan 2009 10:21 #256267 by Oznative
Replied by Oznative on topic Wiring an Acewell 2803AB
KawiConvert,
Thanks for your reply. Did you cut into the existing harness where the indicator lights are in the old dash and just use the hot wire there to power the lights? What did you do for the brake light failure indicator? I guess a separate sealed panel mount light cut into the sheet metal on the new dash might work.

More
05 Jan 2009 10:29 #256270 by KawiConvert
Oznative wrote:

KawiConvert,
Thanks for your reply. Did you cut into the existing harness where the indicator lights are in the old dash and just use the hot wire there to power the lights? What did you do for the brake light failure indicator? I guess a separate sealed panel mount light cut into the sheet metal on the new dash might work.

Kind of, I ran a new full time hotwire off the fused white wires that go to the ignition, then used the normal hot wire used to power the lights for the other lead. One keeps your information stored, the other runs the speedo.

For the other indicators, I cut out the plug they go through and used the plugs that come with the speedo. So there are only the disconnect plugs that came with the speedo.

Also, I removed the brake light warning failure indicator completely from the harness. I didn't expect to use it much being as I've never had a bulb burn out. Otherwise you may just cap it off or unplug it from the harness.

More
05 Jan 2009 15:56 #256310 by kztee
Replied by kztee on topic Wiring an Acewell 2803AB
Convert, do you have any pics of this mounted?

1977 KZ 1000A - Currently rebuilding
1980 KZ 750 LTD - Mostly stock daily rider
1979 KZ 1000 LTD - Parts bike and/or future project
1979 KZ 1000 ST
1980 GS 750 L
2003 ZRX 1200 R

More
05 Jan 2009 22:18 #256377 by KawiConvert
kztee wrote:

Convert, do you have any pics of this mounted?

Here is a prior picture of the mounting before bending the mounting tab, countersinking the two 10mm bolts (and putting in flat head bolts) and cutting out the center section of my aluminum mount to accommodate the bent Acewell mount. So yeah, its a little different, but for the most part it is the same. Also, I am going to chrome the aluminum mount in an effort to match the Acewell.

Attachments:

More
06 Jan 2009 03:42 #256393 by Oznative
Thanks for all the help. Now I need to figure out how and where to mount the reed sensor. I hooked the speedo up on the bench and used a function generator to input a 2MHz signal into the speedometer input and ran the odometer up to match the old one. The guys at the registry wont impound the bike now;)

More
06 Jan 2009 04:42 #256398 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Wiring an Acewell 2803AB
That's the same unit (2853)I was looking for but in Billet Aluminum, unfortunately, no longer available.

Now I'm waiting for the 4000 series.... Some time soon, this year.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
06 Jan 2009 07:06 #256416 by Oznative
OMR, That gauge is really nice. It has some features that I wont ever use but nice anyway.

More
06 Jan 2009 07:44 #256422 by KawiConvert
Oznative wrote:

Thanks for all the help. Now I need to figure out how and where to mount the reed sensor. I hooked the speedo up on the bench and used a function generator to input a 2MHz signal into the speedometer input and ran the odometer up to match the old one. The guys at the registry wont impound the bike now;)

You can get a cable that adapts to the speedometer drive off of the wheel. Mine took very minimal massaging and works fine.