Headlight off switch

More
02 Jan 2009 17:57 #255820 by Exitpupil
Headlight off switch was created by Exitpupil
There are times when working on the bike or trying to start it with a low battery I would like a headlight "off" switch on my KZ1000. Any suggestions for a slick on-off switch so I don't have to pull the side cover and pull the fuse?

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2009 19:00 #255827 by stardon
Replied by stardon on topic Headlight off switch
On my GPZ I wanted to do the same thing. I put a switch in the back of the headlight bucket that disconnects the ground to the headlight. The taillight stays on and the headlight warning light on the instrument panel lights up, but even at idle the system voltage is 14 volts. It's the easiest solution I could come up with. And with the fairing around my headlight it's almost impossible to see the switch. Just be sure to measure carefully before drilling so the back of the switch doesn't touch the back of the headlight reflector.

More
02 Jan 2009 19:26 #255829 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Headlight off switch
On the 750 twins the 78 right side switch pod has an on/off switch for the lights, the 79 just has a place for the switch. If the 1000's are the same way, maybe you could get a right side switch pod from a 78 1000 and just plug it in (750 twin requires a jumper be unplugged).

KD9JUR