ignition points

More
27 Dec 2008 22:15 #255037 by kzstu
ignition points was created by kzstu
hey guys new to the site and my kz250a. i bought it not running and was told that the points were out. after inspection i found that a wire had broken. i replaced the wire yet the ignition points and timing are out.
my question is what feeler gauge do i use between the points and how do i set the timing right?
also how do i fine tune the carbie?
cheers guys any help would be appreciated.
stu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2008 06:08 #255060 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic ignition points
follow the link and download the manual...

www.manualz.info/Manuals_pdf/KAWASAKI/KZ...-_Service_Manual.pdf

or here and select kawasaki...

www.manualz.info/

NOTE: Some of these are in different languages.

Basically what you need is the manual to answer your questions...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
28 Dec 2008 08:50 - 28 Dec 2008 09:31 #255077 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic ignition points
kzstu wrote:

kz250a...bought it not running and was told that the points were out...found that a wire had broken....ignition points and timing are out. my question is what feeler gauge do i use between the points and how do i set the timing right?
also how do i fine tune the carbie?
cheers guys any help would be appreciated.
stu.

Hello, Stuart, and WELCOME to KZr! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

Until specific manual is available (am guessing here), but would clean and set points gap at .014" or .35mm (or just use a matchbook cover if in a pinch).

Note two small wires going to the ignition coil. One of them provides positive battery voltage to the coil. The other goes through the closed points to ground. When the points open, the ground is lost, which causes the coil to fire high voltage through the plug wire to the spark plug.

Assure that positive battery voltage is reaching one coil terminal when the ignition switch is turned on.

Assure continuity of the wiring between the other coil terminal through closed points to ground. This allows the coil to charge while the points are closed.

Until running, resort to static timing by adjusting so that points just begin to open when the timing mark (typically an F mark located on the advancer unit) aligns with the permament timing mark on the engine case. Ignore any T mark which may also be visible.

May use ohmmeter probe tips between points contacts to determine when continuity breaks. This is when the points begin to open and when the F mark should align. Or a 12 volt bulb may be rigged to turn off when the ground is broken as the points open. It is very difficult to simply eyeball the exact moment points begin to open.

When running, use a strobe-type timing light to fine tune the F mark alignment at idle rpm. And assure smooth operation of advancer by watching the timing move back and forth as rpm is varied.

Check quality of spark by removing the plug, connect it to the coil lead, hold the spark plug base against the engine, turn ignition on, assure transmission is in neutral, "crank" the engine to spin it over (using kick start or starter motor), visibly inspect the spark at business end of plug.

If there's no spark, something is wrong other than ignition timing.

And at this stage, even with a perfect spark that's perfectly timed, there's still a lot to do before being able to fine tune the carbie.

I would begin by first assuring existence of a good quality spark. Then timing, compression, valve clearances, air and fuel supply to carbs, likely carb restoration, etc., with fine tuning of carbs being the very last procedure.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Dec 2008 09:31 by Patton.

More
28 Dec 2008 15:21 #255131 by kzstu
Replied by kzstu on topic ignition points
thanks guys makes it easier when others have done it before.
cheers.
stu.