Disconnected wire...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
27 Dec 2008 19:41 #255006 by clutch
Disconnected wire... was created by clutch
Hey guys,

I recently had to pull out my battery to charge it. When I reinstalled it, I removed the right side cover to have easier access to reconnect the ground side. I noticed a wiring harness there and one wire that was not connected at one end. It is black (with a yellowish stripe) and I cannot figure out where it goes. The only black/yellow thing I see on the wiring diagram looks to be the chassis ground system. Everything is working fine with the electrical system, so I'm scratching my head trying to figure it out. Does anyone know what this wire is????

Thanks,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2008 19:47 #255007 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Disconnected wire...
the wiring harnesses are made for use in differant countrys where differant stuff is required sometimes,so every now and then youll find a mystery wire even on a brandnew bike that goes no place.theres probbly more of them you havent spotted yet,probably nothing to worry aboutB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2008 19:50 #255008 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Disconnected wire...
Well I guess that makes sense since everything is working, though it's strange because the wire itself almost looks like it was ripped out of a connector of some kind....

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
27 Dec 2008 20:01 #255011 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Disconnected wire...
A black wire with a yellow stripe was usually a ground wire.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2008 20:03 #255012 by clutch
That's what I was thinking after looking at the wiring diagram, though everything is working....not sure what would happen if I grounded it....might possibly cause a short somewhere and blow some fuses

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
27 Dec 2008 21:25 - 27 Dec 2008 21:26 #255022 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Disconnected wire...
Connecting the ground (Black/Yellow Marker) to chassis (ground) or engine (ground) cannot blow a fuse... unless someone has connected the other end to Battery by accident. :dry:

Test this Black/Yellow wire for voltage with a meter or test light. If it does not have Battery on it then it belongs unconnected, connected to ground or to some device that requires ground... do you have points ignition or electronic? If electronic, is there a ground missing to it? :huh:

Best of success. :)

PS,
Let's get your year, model and location into your signature so you get the best replies... and it's considered real friendly too.
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 27 Dec 2008 21:26 by bill_wilcox100.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 Dec 2008 21:28 #255024 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Disconnected wire...
stop looking before you find the others...just ride it like it's on fire and don't worry...i've got three or five myself when in doubt i zip tie em up outta the way and put a very small snip of tube over the end to protect god knows what......peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
27 Dec 2008 21:30 #255025 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Disconnected wire...
It's probably for extra running-lights or something.
Or maybe a P.O. had a set of hard-luggage installed,and they had marker lights on them.
Either way,if it's a ground(which it sounds like it is) then I wouldn't worry about it.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2008 21:33 - 27 Dec 2008 21:34 #255026 by clutch
I have a points ignition, not electric. Testing with a meter sounds like a good plan. I think I will pull out my old meter and give that a try. Oh, and my model and year is an '80 kz250 d1. I have it in my signature already. Is it not showing up on my posts???

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 27 Dec 2008 21:34 by clutch.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2008 21:37 #255027 by clutch
Sandy wrote:

It's probably for extra running-lights or something.
Or maybe a P.O. had a set of hard-luggage installed,and they had marker lights on them.

Looks like a factory wire to me, but it's a possibility. I'm the type of person to that will tear down the whole bike just to see where the one wire goes ("Follow the yellowbrick road"...LOL!) .

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
28 Dec 2008 16:02 #255134 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Disconnected wire...
Clutch, by color, it's a ground. Kawasaki was chincy in their harness to chassis grounds. usually just the large battery to cases cable, then a typical 12-16 guage wire from neg terminal to harness providing for all other grounds.in it's absence ground is still provided(usually ) thru turnsignal bodys etc.if you have that small dia wire to harness from batt neg, I wouldn't be concerned, if not, Thats probly where it goes. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
28 Dec 2008 16:31 #255136 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Disconnected wire...
Behind the side panel, the grounds on my 650 are the one to the starter solenoid, the one mentioned to the battery negative terminal and I believe that is it (I've changed mine a little). If everything still works I wouldn't worry about it as the harness is only grounded to the battery there though the turn signal stalks probably provide another common ground unless they are insulated from the frame.

Like the others have said, check it for voltage, if O then cover it and zip it out of the way.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust