Mega squirt users

• jus1975
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • www.tripleaperformance.com
More
25 Dec 2008 21:28 #254683 by jus1975
Replied by jus1975 on topic Mega squirt users
Where are you guys buying the MS kits. Are you purchasing the built kits or unassembled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2008 21:58 #254687 by Dave Sloan
Replied by Dave Sloan on topic Mega squirt users
I buy my kits from www.diyautotune.com
and assemble them myself (mainly because I get a kck out of the diy side of it)Its not difficult as I managed and have no electronic or electrical experience, but they also sell assembled ones and I found their service great to Australia.
If you are going to assemble yourself its a good idea to get the stim so that you can feed a signal into it and test it as you go and also how to use megatune.
I would recommend that you go for a ms 1 as there iare a lot more off them around and there are a lot of people who have experience with the older unit.

Z650B2 - Injected

• jus1975
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Dec 2008 00:36 #254696 by jus1975
There are alot of different packages from that link. How do I know what to buy. Should I buy the MS1 or MS2 or MS1w/MS2 add on. I looked at the manual and I'm more confused. There is MS, MS2, MS2 Sequencer, V3.0, V3.57, etc. What should I get? I want to do my Z1r with supercharger. Should I do ignition or use a Dyna ign.? Lots of questions.

More
26 Dec 2008 06:09 #254709 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Mega squirt users
A lot of answers :)

MS2 is simply a MS1 with the processor removed from it's socket and a daughter board with a processor plugged into the same MS1 socket.

Ver 3.0 is just a more professionally designed Ver 2.2 using automotive rated componets, and a little space for prototyping.

3.57 is an assembled unit that uses SMD (Surface Mount Devices) components. It is available as an assembled unit only.

Sequencer is a MS designed to do sequential injection and is in beta testing, not currently available. And you don't need sequential injection anyway.

MicroSquirt is another one that's available only as an assembled unit, not as a kit. It's a shrunken MS2 with an extra coil driver designed for bikes, but it costs $400.

There's also the GPIO MS, but that's for controlling automatic transmissions, so I don't think you'll need it either :)

The $140 Ver 2.2 MS1 kit will work fine, it'll do everything you need, even the ignition and supercharger.

I buy my MS stuff from the same place Dave does, DIYAutotune, excellent service and the people there are dedicated to helping you. Kinda like a MS veresion of Z1 Enterprises :)

KD9JUR

More
26 Dec 2008 06:19 #254710 by steell
Forgot to mention that I buy kits because I enjoy assembling them :)

MS1 that's done above and to the left of the MS2 circuit board that I am currently assembling. MS1 is for my bike, MS2 is for my car.

KD9JUR
Attachments:

• jus1975
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Dec 2008 11:23 #254745 by jus1975
How about some of the cool features like auto enrichment, etc. Does the MS1 have that or is that the MS2.

More
26 Dec 2008 12:49 - 26 Dec 2008 14:14 #254751 by SQLGuy
Replied by SQLGuy on topic Mega squirt users
Well, I'm no-longer a Kawasaki rider (used to have an F7 175), and I've never been a KZ rider, but I am running Megasquirt (or, more specifically, Microsquirt) on an an air cooled four (fuel and ignition).

I started the conversion project for my 1982 Yamaha SECA 750 back in April of 2008. It took about six weeks to have the bike ridable, and it's very ridable now, but I still don't think I'm entirely done.

I'd like to know the source for the $100 wideband and controller mentioned above. The least expensive ones I've seen are about $200. My project cost me about:

$400 for Microsquirt
$28 for a MAP sensor (turns out I could have bought one for about $12 from DigiKey)
$25 for coil packs (used)
$15 for the throttle body and IAC (used)
About $100 for various pipe fittings and hardware
$50 or so for ignition wire and components
$65 for a generic Bosch narrow band O2 sensor
$14 for a water temp sensor to use as an oil temp sensor
$5 for a used inlet air temp sensor
$8 for weld-in bung to mount O2 sensor
$100 for a fuel pump
$30 for fuel and vacuum lines and fittings
$25 or so for electrical terminals, heat shrink, tape...
$50 or so for shipping on various orders
$30 for gasket materials, solder, and silicone
$15 for relays and fuses
$25 or so for electronic components
$40 for used injectors and pressure regulator
$65 for injector cleaning and flow testing

$?? for special tools (1/4" NPT tap, 2 3/8" hole saw, 1 1/4" hole saw, 17/32" drill, etc).

So, what does all that add up to? Haven't counted some consumables, like sandpaper, nor did I count some of the wrong turns like unused throttle bodies, MAF sensor, or MAF calibration. On the other hand, I did get some trade-in credit for my old carbs and TCI unit when I sent them in to an XJ parts dealer.

Certainly MS-II is a bit cheaper than Microsquirt, but you'll have a much harder time finding a place to mount it on a bike.

My complete project page is here ( residentialcolorado.com/SECA_750i.htm ), if you're interested in more of the details (start and run video is out of date - based on first build... I may update that today). (Edit) OK, I just did update it.

Cheers,
Paul

'82 SECA 750 - converted to fuel injection with Microsquirt and a bunch of home-made pieces.
'83 GPz 750 - mostly stock... so far

Project page: residentialcolorado.com/SECA_750i.htm
Last edit: 26 Dec 2008 14:14 by SQLGuy.

More
26 Dec 2008 15:02 - 26 Dec 2008 15:53 #254765 by SQLGuy
steell wrote:

36 teeth times 10,000 rpm times 60 seconds equals 21,600,000, that's 21.6 mhz!
Give the poor processor a break and use a 12 tooth wheel :)

Math please! 10,000 RPM / 60 seconds per minute (remember, the PM in RPM stands for per minute) = 166.67 rotations per second; times 36 teeth = 6000Hz, not 21.6MHz. MS-II and Microsquirt have both been used with 80 tooth wheels running at 10K RPM. The 36-1 wheel is no problem, and you really want the additional teeth for faster initial synch and better timing accuracy at low RPM.

Also,

steell wrote:

MS2 is simply a MS1 with the processor removed from it's socket and a daughter board with a processor plugged into the same MS1 socket.

Well... it's actually the 8MHz MS-I processor removed and replaced with the 24Mhz MS-II processor. MS-I and MS-II also run different firmware, due to the different processors. The faster CPU makes for some additional features, like trigger wheel decoding, and better accuracy for timing and injection pulse width.

In MS-I you have to go to a 3rd party code set to support ignition (MS SnS), but for MS-II ignition control is part of the base code set.

'82 SECA 750 - converted to fuel injection with Microsquirt and a bunch of home-made pieces.

Last edit: 26 Dec 2008 15:53 by SQLGuy.

More
26 Dec 2008 16:08 - 26 Dec 2008 16:52 #254768 by steell

steell wrote:

It's just like I said :)

MS2 processor on a circuit board with the necessary components and circuitry to allow it to function on the MS1 board.

MSnS third party software??
Where to start?
First off, MegaSquirt is a community developed item, initiated as the DIY-EFI mailing list fell apart, and started by Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo, and supported by a cast of hundreds on the original MegaSquirt Mailing list. And it's pretty much a hobby of Bruce and Al :)

A lot of the code that runs the MegaSquirt was contributed by others, so I guess you could call it "third party code", but that would be misleading. It's all MegaSquirt Code.

MSnS is actually just a part of MS Extra code.

Regarding the low cost Wideband:

It's called the JAW, for Just Another Wideband, and it costs $45 plus $10 shipping for the controller, and around $60 for the sensor. If you want the display then it's another $25.
Innovate LC-1 is around $200 without the display, or over twice as much.

I joined the MegaSquirt Mailing list at the time of the very first group buy of the printed circuit boards for the original MS, I think that was 5 or 6 years ago. It's grown a little since then :D

And the only fuel injected bike in my garage that's actually running has stock factory EFI on it, it's a 85 GPz750 Turbo. :blush:

KD9JUR
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Dec 2008 16:52 by steell.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
26 Dec 2008 16:39 #254772 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Mega squirt users
I got my boards and case and map sensors and processor from Glen Hoag www.glensgarage.com and have been very happy with service. Ordered electronic components directly from DigiKey. Once again, good service. Still working the bugs out of MSnS/MegaSquirt1. But that project has gotten so buried under hunniedooos, I swear the only thing I can do is wait for TOWMBO to go to the nursing home. :ohmy: :huh: :blink: :blush: :woohoo: :S

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
26 Dec 2008 17:20 #254774 by SQLGuy
Hmm... I wish I'd heard of that JAW sooner. Would have saved me a lot of tuning time, I think. Thanks.

The reason I would call the MS SnS and MSExtra code 3rd party, is that the code is now coming from a separate group than the hardware. B&G, who design the hardware, do the MS-II code in Code Warrior, so most of the community can't do much more than look at the source (Code Warrior's about $1000 for the compiler needed for MS-II). MSExtra, MS SnS, and MS2Extra can be compiled with GNU tools, so pretty much anyone can build them.

I've been thinking about trying MS2Extra on my bike, but the benefits of the extra features and being able to build it myself are starting to be outweighed by the downsides of no defaults in Megatune for MS2Extra and having to be one of the first people to test MS2Extra on Microsquirt. I think I have enough headaches already, and I've solved most of my MS-II issues. The closed loop idle of MS2Extra is still tempting me, though.

More
26 Dec 2008 19:17 - 26 Dec 2008 19:45 #254790 by steell

All of the embedded microprocessor code executed for MegaSquirt-ITM was hand-written directly in assembler, not compiled from a high-level language.

www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Since it is in the Motorola family the MegaSquirt® embedded code will port over quite easily, however the MegaSquirt-II code has been converted to the C programming language since there is a free GNU cross-compiler for this CPU. This will make it much easier for others to customize the algorithms to meet their needs.

www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Heck, there is even a free demo of Code Warrior that will work, it has a size limitation but MS is well within the limits (I have the CD sent to me by Motorola :) )

I realize that the reason you missed this stuff is because the whole site has simply gotten huge, and to understand the whole MegaSquirt thing really takes a lot of time for someone new to it.

Tidbits:

The hardware is designed by Bruce Bowling, Al Grippo, and a group of MS enthusiasts, no one is making any money, Bruce and Al just hope to break even :)

Like to have a hand in designing the next version of MegaSquirt? Here's a link to the forums where MS3 is being designed by the group even as we speak.

www.ms3efi.com/index.php

You stepped into the MegaSquirt World at the top level with the assembled MicroSquirt, you learn a lot more when you start at the bottom with the MS1 kit.:P

I believe it was early 2004 when I discoved MegaSquirt, I was in my third year as sole caregiver for my disabled Dad (a full time job). I've always been a gearhead and a nerd, so when I discovered DIY EFI it was like a doorway out of my prison (I actually could not leave the house for months at a time). So I dived right in, it saved my sanity :)

By the way, the MegaSquirt mailing list is still active (barely), as is the MegaqCycle mailing list (MS on motorcycles).

Glen (of Glen's Garage) is a good guy, but sometimes he gets overloaded and falls behind. This has been the case in the past anyway, don't know if he's done something to keep it from happening again

The guy's at DIY Autotune are really helpful on the MS forums, and are great to deal with from my viewpoint as a customer, so I chose to deal with them.

Not much MS discussion on KZR, most of it takes place on another board (Not KZ specific).

Edit:

Seems I joined the MegaSquirt website in May 2004, so it must have been early 2003 when I joined the mailing list.

I notice you joined in 2006, so you've been around for awhile :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 26 Dec 2008 19:45 by steell.