Electrical contact cleaner/preservative

More
16 Dec 2008 12:44 #253045 by MFolks
Many guys here probably use Wd-40 on the electrical contacts on their bikes like the fuse clips,bullet connectors, etc. I used to until the day I went to start my bike; turned the key, no fuel pump sound,horn,or lights.

My first thought was the battery died or the ground cable came loose but I had rode just that morning with no problem.
I happened to have some 400 grit sandpaper in my tool kit and by removing the older glass tubed fuses one at a time,scratching the now insulating film from the fuses and clips was able to get home. I later removed this film from the rest of the bikes electrical connectors.

I've been using an electrical contact cleaner for many years made by Caig Labs out of San Diego Ca. www.caig.com is the website. I use it on audio patch cords, cordless phone charging cradles and all electrical connectors on my bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
16 Dec 2008 19:33 #253132 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Electrical contact cleaner/preservative
Yep, there are a variety of folks making that kind of stuff and it's faaaaar better for that its intended purpose than WD40.
However, those electronics-type sprays won't last in a motorcycle environment and really should be used more as a
cleaner rather than a long-life protectant.
What you SHOULD be applying on a bike's connectors, etc AFTER using the spray cleaner of your choice is some dielectric grease for long-life corrosion prevention. Dielectric grease will last for years on the average bike in most connector applications. It also offers a certain level of waterproofing as well.
It's widely available at auto chain stores and is sometimes sold as "tuneup grease".
I always have a spray bomb of cleaner and a giant economy sized tube of dielectric grease to hand when doing any electrical work on my bikes. Cheap insurance, IMO.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
17 Dec 2008 06:14 #253175 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Electrical contact cleaner/preservative
there are a lot of electronic cleaners and sealers aval today,,, LPS, CRC, are just a couple of brands, I would suggest using the cleaner first then the sealer, works well

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
17 Dec 2008 07:21 - 31 Dec 2008 15:49 #253184 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Dec 2008 15:49 by JMKZHI.

More
17 Dec 2008 14:41 - 17 Dec 2008 14:43 #253242 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Electrical contact cleaner/preservative
MFolks wrote:

Many guys here probably use Wd-40 on the electrical contacts on their bikes like the fuse clips,bullet connectors, etc. I used to until the day I went to start my bike; turned the key, no fuel pump sound,horn,or lights.

My first thought was the battery died or the ground cable came loose but I had rode just that morning with no problem.
I happened to have some 400 grit sandpaper in my tool kit and by removing the older glass tubed fuses one at a time,scratching the now insulating film from the fuses and clips was able to get home. I later removed this film from the rest of the bikes electrical connectors.

I've been using an electrical contact cleaner for many years made by Caig Labs out of San Diego Ca. www.caig.com is the website. I use it on audio patch cords, cordless phone charging cradles and all electrical connectors on my bike.

Any contact cleaner that works is some kind of fast drying solvent that dries and leaves absolutely no residue. The point is, it washes any oil or slime off as the solvent is blown onto the contacts, and then it dries leaving the contacts clean.

Contacts MUST NOT be coated with anything like oil, which means WD-40 is probably the worst thing to use since it oxidizes into a varnishy slime over time.

In general, contacts are tin plated when made to resist oxidation or corrosion. Better ones are gold plated. Crappy ones are bare copper. Copper contacts do tend to oxidize over time and need buffing clean. Here's a tip I used a lot:

If some contact that's giving you trouble is bare copper, you can use a scotchbrite pad to polish it up nice and shiny. Then, tin it lightly using electronic rosin core solder. Then, use solder wick to strip off all excess solder. Then, clean it completely with acetone. That gives a pretty decent tin plating that will hold up a lot better than copper alone does.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 Dec 2008 14:43 by bountyhunter.

More
17 Dec 2008 18:53 #253297 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Electrical contact cleaner/preservative
i use dielectric grease for anything electrical switches,connectors,spark plug boots,for battery termanals i use battery cable end spray.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
17 Dec 2008 19:26 #253313 by baldtire
Replied by baldtire on topic Electrical contact cleaner/preservative
careful with the contact cleaner some brands make plastic
crumble in your fingers (it wasn't my cell phone)never had any problems with brake cleaner though

More
20 Dec 2008 12:22 #253708 by sbulla
Replied by sbulla on topic Electrical contact cleaner/preservative
I only use WD40 on my arthritis. :laugh:

There are a LOT of folks convinced it's made to use on electrical components though. Back in the 80's, I had a fellow bring me a audio mixing console for repair that he had just "cleaned" with WD40. That was a VERY expensive lesson he learned!

Sonny

Now----
1980 KZ1000 LTD (Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, Dyna gray coils)

Gone but not forgotten----
1966 Honda 305 Superhawk
1969 HD 350 Sprint
1971 500 H1
1972 250 F8
1972 750 H2
1973 KX250
1995 HD Sportster 1200
2000 HD Softail
2002 KLR650

More
20 Dec 2008 14:24 - 20 Dec 2008 14:32 #253718 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Electrical contact cleaner/preservative
I never use dielectric grease and dread any time I come across a bike with it. Its a fluid insulator and with heat can wick into contacts. Much like the WD40 example, it can eventually prevent continuity. It sucks troubleshooting a bike which may have multiple discontinuities.

I use cleaners only. But as Baldtire said, you can't use it on every type of plastic. The nylon looking connectors seem ok, but acrylic (like phone/rj45) connectors do seem to crumble.

Like Bountyhunter said, bare copper connectors (ie worn contacts) needs some tinning or they will corrode fast.

Liquid tape or other hardening sealers seem to be ok as long as they only seal the outside, but it's not fun peeling the stuff off.

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I only use cleaner and electrical tape, and new connectors whenever I can. I know people won't agree, but I also crimp connectors and avoid soldering if possible. Soldered connections are weaker and tend to break sooner than crimp connectors.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2008 14:32 by loudhvx.

More
20 Dec 2008 18:39 #253751 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Electrical contact cleaner/preservative
In my experiance in the Defence Industry the only soldered connection on cables had strain reliefs clamping the wires so movement was almost impossible.

The other types of wires were crimped into the various male/female pins with a four sided eight dentent crimp and then the wires were inserted into the connector through a silicone rubber insulator that retained the pins.

Printed circuit boards had the interface cables secured so movement was again next to impossible.

All wire terminations were crimped as soldering will make the joint fail due to brittleness. You don't want a 4.75 million dollar missile failing because some wires broke/came loose! (The AGM-129A at 1993 prices).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)