Regulator output

• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Always leave 'em smiling!
More
11 Nov 2008 17:13 #246907 by BINJIEU
Regulator output was created by BINJIEU
Just replaced my battery. After initial charging, installed the battery, checked voltage (12.7v) then started the engine. After it warmed up, checked voltage at 1200 rpm (16.07V). Increased engine speed to 4000 rpm and watched the meter. . . remained a constant 16.07v. The Clymers I have says it should be between 14 and 15 volt plus or minus.5v.
Should I replace my solid state regulator, or does it seem there is another more ominous demon lurking in my 77 KZ650?

RICK

77 KZ650 w/ Dyna S ignition and stock coils
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2008 17:15 #246909 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Regulator output
it is definitly overcharging iwould be doing further checks of the entire charging system.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
11 Nov 2008 17:26 #246916 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Regulator output
The stock 77 650 regulator is adjustable. The manual should give details on it.

If yours is a solid state one, then I assume it's aftermarket? If so, check the voltage on the brown wire right at the regulator. The voltage should be near the same as the battery voltage. If it is significantly lower, that would cause the regulator to raise its output tot eh battery. You have to find where the brown wire is losing its voltage.

More
11 Nov 2008 20:26 #246947 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Regulator output
Adjusted my regulator, as per the manual, when I first got my bike 3 years ago. Never had any problems.

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Nov 2008 18:00 #249656 by BINJIEU
Replied by BINJIEU on topic Regulator output
Thanks guys! Been awhile since I could actually do anything with the bike do to the nature of my livelihood.

Checked the voltage at the brown wire and it's about 2 volts less than battery volts. Thought I'd cheat and shorted the brown directly to the battery positive, which while running was getting over 16 volts. The output didn't change.

It is an aftermarket job. . .number TMR1003 7/02
No name stamped or inked on the device.
Wiring has what looks like a #12 R and Bk wired to battery + and - respectively, three yellow #14 or #16, an orange and a blue #16, the blue spliced to the brown wire feeding switched power to the reg. Any help IDing this device might be helpful. I probably need to replace the regulator regardless as well as hunt down the voltage drop culprit.

As always, any input might help shed some light on my dilema and is greatly appreciated.

RICK

81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

More
28 Nov 2008 12:48 #249781 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Regulator output
If you got better than 16VDC while the bike is running, I would say it is time to find a new reg/rec or at least a regulator. One more thing... the brown switched sub-circuit that tells the regulator how much voltage to make is experiencing a 2VDC drop so I would find another source. The easiest would be the red wire coming back to your running light in your tail lamp. While this is a switched voltage, it doesn't go through the kill switch and is likely to be a better source than the brown.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2008 08:26 #251249 by BINJIEU
Replied by BINJIEU on topic Regulator output
Hi guys,

Wanna thank you guys for all your input on this issue. Thought an update would be the right thing to do so here goes.

Re-tested the charging system and was getting upwards of 18 VDC to the battery even jumping the pos. post to the brown feed back lead. Ordered and replaced the Rec./Reg. (from Z1 Ent.) and was under 16VDC. Re-checked the switched voltage at the brown wire and was losing about 2 volts. Checked the brown wire feeding the rear brake switch and was losing just shy of 1 volt. Re-wired feedback wire there and got much better results from the regulator output. . . a hair over 15 VDC.

My ultimate solution: have to re-wire the switched circuitry. Considering the bikes age, new copper would probably help alot. Maybe even have to replace an ignition switch and kill switch, too. Ahh, the tribulations of being a die hard vintage bike owner.

RICK

81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

More
07 Dec 2008 09:16 #251262 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Regulator output
BINJIEU, while a little off topic... if you even suspect wire or connector issues, I would strongly suggest the WG Coil Repowering Mod. It made a day-and-night difference when I did it to my ride... and only about $10 USD too. See the Coil mod here:

Link: WG Coil Mod

Here is how I adapted this mod and a few other upgrades to my '77 KZ650-B1. Hope you find it useful:

Link: 650-B1 Mods

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada