blowing fuses with starter trouble

More
19 Oct 2008 22:00 #242761 by gintree
blowing fuses with starter trouble was created by gintree
Hi everyone,

So I searched for this, but none of the other posts seems to have the same combination of issues I'm experiencing.

So here's the history.

When I got the bike (1983 KZ550 LTD) the starter button didn't do anything. The right switch assembly was corroded to hell and was practically falling apart. However, I was able to start the bike by bypassing the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. I replaced the switch assembly and now the starter button works, but it doesn't start the bike. it just blows the main fuse. I though it might have been the starter solenoid since I wasn't getting a "click" when I hit the start button and the fact that the fuse box was getting juice led me to believe the button was in proper working order. I replaced the starter solenoid and I'm still having the same issue. It doesn't "click" or anything, just blows the fuse.

What should I troubleshoot here? All help is appreciated!

Thanks,

gintree

Gintree

'83 KZ550 LTD
Austin, TX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2008 22:10 #242764 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic blowing fuses with starter trouble
pinched/shorted wire in bars?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Oct 2008 11:49 #242841 by gintree
Replied by gintree on topic blowing fuses with starter trouble
I've given the wiring a quick go though and didn't find any obvious problems. I'm gonna get a multimeter in the next couple days and start trying to pinpoint the issue.

What is the closed circuit of components that would be shorting out? I guess I want to know everything I need to check!

Thanks for the help.

Gintree

'83 KZ550 LTD
Austin, TX

More
20 Oct 2008 12:07 #242844 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic blowing fuses with starter trouble
Take the right switch pod on the handlebar apart and look for a pinched/shorted wire.

The starter switch will easy to find, just trace back and see if it is pinched or shorted to ground. Vibration and age of the wire can cause this kind of problem in almost any bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
31 Oct 2008 11:44 #244816 by gintree
Hey yall,

Thanks for the advice. It took me forever to get a chance, but I finally got a multimeter and tested the wiring and fixed a couple issues. I pulled the switch assembly (which is a new aftermarket unit for an XS) and checked all connections and wires. They looked good, so I gave it a try. The bike starts right up!

So I'm thinking I got it all figured out. But, once I put the switch assembly back on the bars it starts blowing fuses again. So it looks like the construction of this switch assembly grounds the starter button to the switch housing (which is metal) and when you mount it on the bars it shorts out. So I dug out the old throttle/switch assembly (which I thought was toast) and hooked it back up and mounted it. It works!

So... I'm happy about fixing the issue, but I'm confused about the xs switch housing. Let's say I had an XS and was using that switch housing, wouldn't it short the xs starter circuit as well? Is there some fundamental difference in the way an XS is wired compared to a KZ?

any experts know?

thanks

Gintree

'83 KZ550 LTD
Austin, TX

More
31 Oct 2008 13:06 #244820 by tw..
Replied by tw.. on topic blowing fuses with starter trouble
I had the same problem. I just wrapped the handle bar with electrical tape where the switch mounted to the handle bar and problem solved.

2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

More
31 Oct 2008 13:17 #244821 by gintree
I was thinking about doing that, but I was worried that the electrical tape would eventually wear through and leave me stranded! How long have you been running it like that?

Gintree

'83 KZ550 LTD
Austin, TX