electrical probs.

More
19 Oct 2008 01:03 #242570 by bparker
electrical probs. was created by bparker
I have a 1984 zn1100 b1 ltd i have developed a short somewhere. when i turn the key on the fuse for the horn pops. i have changed the ignition switch because it was worn out. i have changed the turn single and horn switch assembly. i checked the rectifier and found the wire that goes directly to the igniter had burnt the conector on the rectifier end. i spliced a new end and replacced the rectifier.

turned on key and fuse blew again. i love this old bike just had a custom paint job and really want to get some miles in before winter. bike still runs though. any suggestions

B. Parker
1984 ZN1100 LTD B1,
Woodward Ok.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2008 07:34 #242804 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic electrical probs.
Should your bike have a regulator/rectifier combo assembly? Why is this posted in the carb section anyway? Perhaps one of the mods will move it. While I am nagging, put your bike year/model in your signature by editing your profile. You might put location too... helps when people go to answer and there may be a local who can help..

OK... horn fuse is popping. You have burnt wires. You have three wires going from your stator to your reg/rec. Out you should have ONE white/red wire or perhaps just white going to a dual connector where one leg goes to the MAIN fuse and the other to the BATTERY connection on the starter solenoid. IF the bad wiring on these connections causes a fuse to pop is will be the MAIN fuse.

I think the horn is wired with a BROWN wire which is a switched DC wire coming off the ignition switch. A black wire comes off the horn button as I recall. This is a ground and when the button is pushed, the ground is made to complete the circuit and the horn blows. I think the brown does go through a secondary fuse. I think there is other stuff on the brown circuit... perhaps the reserve lighting system and some other stuff. There is also a possibility that the reg/rec is connected via a brown wire that allows the reg/rec to sense how much voltage is on the wiring harness and that is how it decides how much voltage to put out. Your horn may not be causing the fuse to blow. May be the brown wire connection to the reg/rec or the reserve lighting circuit.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Oct 2008 07:40 #242807 by bparker
Replied by bparker on topic electrical probs.
great ill check the rev. lighting module i just was not sure wha tit was for.
i posted here by mistake this is mny first time i just found the site and it is great so far. i will try to edit my stuff and want to post pics of my bike also.

thanks

B. Parker
1984 ZN1100 LTD B1,
Woodward Ok.

More
20 Oct 2008 07:41 #242808 by bparker
Replied by bparker on topic electrical probs.
bike does have combe recitifier and regulator. they are not located where the clymers said. i also posted on correct forum

B. Parker
1984 ZN1100 LTD B1,
Woodward Ok.