electric cooling fan

More
20 Oct 2008 00:15 #242775 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic electric cooling fan
PLUMMEN wrote:

im trying to find something capable of pullng cooler air across topside of motor,any suggestions?;)

I use a box floor fan when I have to run the engine stationary. Probably too big to mount... and that extension cord would be expensive depending on how far you commute.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2008 09:40 #242820 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic electric cooling fan
ive got a 48" commercial fan that works good for cool downs at the track bu following a truck with a fan and a generator all day would suck!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Oct 2008 10:28 #242828 by davel
Replied by davel on topic electric cooling fan
This thread may be of some interest

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...83164&catid=2#183164

I posted it a while ago. It is my second season with this modification and it works great. This bike is my daily driver. The fan has made a big difference in city traffic during the summer. I will make this modification to any future street KZ motor I build.

More
20 Oct 2008 11:32 #242838 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic electric cooling fan
COOL!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
20 Oct 2008 16:36 - 20 Oct 2008 16:37 #242868 by PLUMMEN
davel wrote:

This thread may be of some interest

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...83164&catid=2#183164

I posted it a while ago. It is my second season with this modification and it works great. This bike is my daily driver. The fan has made a big difference in city traffic during the summer. I will make this modification to any future street KZ motor I build.

i remember seeing that someplace just couldnt remember where!thanks B) i wonder how that would work if i used it as puller rather than a pusher and mounted a fan on behind the motor ?rather than trying to push jello through a straw as i heard one guy call it before ,its a lot easier to suck it through!:laugh: my turbo is going to be mounted behind front wheel so it wont pull air away from intake and there should be plenty of room to mount it that way.B)

Last edit: 20 Oct 2008 16:37 by PLUMMEN. Reason: cant spell !!!!

More
20 Oct 2008 18:28 #242904 by davel
PLUMMEN wrote:

i wonder how that would work if i used it as puller rather than a pusher and mounted a fan on behind the motor

Hmm...The fan can be wired to run either direction but you might need a fan shroud to ensure it draws air through the engine rather than around it. Also, the hottest part of the engine is the exhaust (front) side. If possible, you'll want to blow air directly at it...Let us know what you come up with and how it works.

More
20 Oct 2008 18:56 #242907 by PLUMMEN
my biggest problem with pulling air directly off the exhuast is youre pushing that hot air right into the motor,im trying to pull cooler air through over top of motor which is the hottest part of the actual engine.ive got my pistons and combustion chambers and related parts coatedwith piston coat already to help with heating issues.;)

More
20 Oct 2008 23:22 #242968 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic electric cooling fan
PLUMMEN wrote:

i wonder how that would work if i used it as puller rather than a pusher and mounted a fan on behind the motor ?

It will work very poorly because the airflow to the fan's inlet will be starved so it won't be doing much of anything.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Oct 2008 05:51 #242992 by davel
PLUMMEN wrote:

im trying to pull cooler air through over top of motor which is the hottest part of the actual engine

Yeah, the head is definitely running hot and it would be good to get a large volume of air pointed directly at it. I thought about this for a while when fabricating my current setup but couldn't come up with a good way to make it happen. It's pretty tight up there.

Maybe an electric squirl-cage blower mounted behind the engine with air ducted over the head. Similar to how the turbo blower air is ducted in your avitar. Just a thought...

Regardless of the exact setup, if you can get a few hundred CFM flowing over the head and cylinders at idle it will definitely make a difference.