Buying a new ignition switch, match tank cap?

More
15 Oct 2008 21:24 #242033 by Ashbane
Last few days my '76 750 B1 has been shutting off while riding and it's getting REAL annoying. While I'm coasting I can still reach up and jiggle the key and get the pights to come back on and hit the starter button and get it going again without stopping, but I see ignition switches are cheap new so I was about to buy one off Z1 or Ebay. Then I realized I'd now have to save the old one for the tank cap.

Is there a way around this at all or a way to get the tank cap fixed to match the ignition key? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question. It's not a big deal, I just don't like having more keys on my keychain than I have already plus having to flip through them whenever I need to get to a different part of the bike.

1976 KZ750 B1 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2008 22:26 #242039 by drmadd95
Replied by drmadd95 on topic Buying a new ignition switch, match tank cap?
I had a similar issue with my 79kz650. I have a 78 that I wanted to swap the ignition switches with because it had two factory keys and my 79 had one crappy copied key. However, the wiring didn't match up so I had to improvise.

I ended up taking apart both ignition switches and swapping the tumblers so I could use the two factory keys from my 78 on the 79. I then swapped the steering and seat locks.

You could do this, but it sounds like your contacts may be dirty in the switch. The switch is held on with two crimps that you can pry apart; however, be careful because the plastic breaks easily. (Don't ask me how I know, hehe). Anyway after my swap everything still works great.

1979 KZ650 B (Main Ride)
1978 KZ650 D1 (sold)
1982 KZ750 (parts bike)

More
15 Oct 2008 23:37 #242042 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Buying a new ignition switch, match tank cap?
drmadd95 wrote:

I had a similar issue with my 79kz650. I have a 78 that I wanted to swap the ignition switches with because it had two factory keys and my 79 had one crappy copied key. However, the wiring didn't match up so I had to improvise.

I ended up taking apart both ignition switches and swapping the tumblers so I could use the two factory keys from my 78 on the 79. I then swapped the steering and seat locks.

You could do this, but it sounds like your contacts may be dirty in the switch. The switch is held on with two crimps that you can pry apart; however, be careful because the plastic breaks easily. (Don't ask me how I know, hehe). Anyway after my swap everything still works great.

And there's some springs and balls in there too. I think.

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
16 Oct 2008 03:42 #242054 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic Buying a new ignition switch, match tank cap?
A decent locksmith should be able to rekey the ignition switch to you key. It should only take a few minutes and a few of dollars. Take the switch and the new and old keys to him before you install it so he doesn't have to do the labor of taking it out and putting it back.

More
16 Oct 2008 05:03 - 04 Dec 2008 09:39 #242058 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 09:39 by JMKZHI.

More
16 Oct 2008 18:23 #242169 by smclem
yes your car or truck key will open your tank-- the new ignition key will open just fine-- but like mentioned-- it won't work that well on the seat latch

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX14
08 KLX110
09 KVF750 Brute Force
1974 KE100

More
16 Oct 2008 18:25 #242174 by JR
You should be able to open the tank with any key. My front door key, a screwdriver, a swiss army pocketknife are just a few of the items I've used.
Like JKZHI said "dont forget the seat lock"

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
16 Oct 2008 21:39 #242219 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Buying a new ignition switch, match tank cap?
can z1 get you a lock to match your existing key?there isnt that many differant sets ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.