PLEASE HELP! No start just click...

More
15 Oct 2008 09:29 #241925 by BLR_STS
PLEASE HELP! No start just click... was created by BLR_STS
Hey guys,

I have a 1981 KZ750 four. Whenever I go to start it, I press the run button and all I get is a single click. That is it. I have already replaced the starter solenoid. Any ideas? TIA.

-Josh

1981 KZ 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2008 10:57 #241941 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic PLEASE HELP! No start just click...
How old is the battery? Are the cables(large gauge wires) clean and tight? Has the battery been fully charged and then load tested at a motorcycle shop? Check the ground connection at the frame/engine for loseness.

Do not use a charger rated to recharge car batteries as they will boil the fluid in the battery and/or warp the plates ruining the battery. Motorcyle batteries should not be charged at no more than 2 amps.

A trusted brand of charger for motorcycle batteries is "Battery Tender" it will charge a battery at not more than 1.25 amps and then switch to a lesser charge to maintain the battery.

Another suggestion is to look at the connections at the starter solenoid as they get loose from vibration. A replacement from the dealer may be $100. I recommend taking the old solenoid to the riding lawnmower shops and see what might fit. Their solenoids are usually under $20 and with a little change to how it mounts or wires up you can be back on the road.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Oct 2008 13:32 #241964 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic PLEASE HELP! No start just click...
Charge up the battery. Connect a voltmeter to the battery and press the starter button: if it drops below about 9V, the battery is toast.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Nov 2008 07:36 #246069 by BLR_STS
Replied by BLR_STS on topic PLEASE HELP! No start just click...
thanks for the responses guys, every once in a while the bike will turn over, do you guys still think it could be the battery?

1981 KZ 750

More
07 Nov 2008 08:14 #246072 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic PLEASE HELP! No start just click...
yes, you need to fully charge the battery, and check it as described, also make sure the water level is full.
and double check the ground cable to the engine from the battery

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 Nov 2008 10:18 #246083 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic PLEASE HELP! No start just click...
start with that,then just jump across the solenoid to see if it does anything that will eliminate your starter button from the picture.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.