Help!

• madkawltd90076
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Oct 2008 17:50 #241656 by madkawltd90076
Help! was created by madkawltd90076
My battery wasnt holding a charge. I changed the voltage regulator out with the one from my running bike. I drove about a mile and the white wire fuse blew and kept blowing fuses every time id change it out. I put one fuse in and it didnt blow...i got on the bike, drove it for about a mile and smoke started coming from the good voltage regulator.
Now the voltage regulator is shot. Am I safe to assume that my stator has gone bad?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2008 05:08 - 14 Oct 2008 05:10 #241731 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Help!
It's probably safe to assume that the stator is good, it's designed solely to output a specified voltage at a specified rpm, and I can think of no failure mode that would allow it to exceed that specified voltage.

Sounds more like a problem with the regulator output wire.

It'd help if you specified the year and model though, different year/models have different type charging systems.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 14 Oct 2008 05:10 by steell.

More
14 Oct 2008 06:49 #241743 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Help!
Why not go into your profile and edit your signature to denote your bike year/model and your location? Based on your nicname, I suppose you might have a KZ900? If so, the fuse blew because you had the regulator wired in incorrectly in all liklihood. The 900 has a separate regulator and rectifier. The regulator hooks up to the three yellow wires coming off the stator via the blue plug on the patch panel. A brown wire connects to the wiring harness switched DC. A black wire connects to another ground wire which may be coming off the starter solenoid (from memory?) and the white wire or white/red goes out of the regulator and tees with the white or white/red wire off the rectifier bridge. Out of the tee is a single wire that splits out in a dual connector where one leg goes to the hot terminal of the starter solenoid (your battery connection) and the other leg goes to the main fuse where it then goes to the ignition switch.

I think you must have connected something wrong. Your basic method of troubleshooting wasn't sound anyway. You should FIRST have troubleshot the battery. Load tested or used a hydrometer to find out if the cells were healthy. If the battery is sulfated, no amount of parts swaps will help keep it alive. You could also have tested the battery DC voltage at idle and then at 3500 rpm to find out if the regulator was doing its job. Now you really still don't know if the regulator is your culprit or not.

Get a new regulator that works. First check your battery as I suggested. You can also check the stator by unplugging the blue connector and checking AC voltages with the bike running to find out if the stator is working in spec. Then check your battery voltages to see if the regulator is working right. A factory shop manual also suggests tests for the rectifier bridge on your bike. If the rectifier is marginal, you will also have charging problems.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• madkawltd90076
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2008 13:15 #241793 by madkawltd90076
Replied by madkawltd90076 on topic Help!
Replacing the regulator was going to be my next course of action but im afraid that whatever fried the last regulator will do the same to the new one. The battery is good as was the the regulator that I burnt up because I took it off my running bike. Now, there IS some sort of finned regulator looking thing that is wired into the harness and mounted under the right side cover. I dont know what this is because I was always under the impression that the voltage regulator plugged into the main junction box via a green plug and the rectifier is mounted right there by the junction box. BTW ...yes it is a 76 kz900a

• madkawltd90076
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2008 14:03 #241798 by madkawltd90076
Replied by madkawltd90076 on topic Help!
Ok, I checked voltage off the blue connector coming from the stator. I only register voltage from 2 of the pins. shouldnt I be getting voltage from three of the pins?