Anyone with experience running a Dyna 2000??

More
27 Sep 2008 17:35 - 27 Sep 2008 17:49 #238980 by pawkz1k
Hello,

I'm trying to determine the power requirements of a Dyna 2000 ignition system. For example, MSD's MC-3 ignition system specifies 4 amps @ 12Vdc (10,000RPM). The Dyna S I currently run uses about 8 amps @ 12 Vdc (nominal, calculate with 3 ohm coils).

The reason I'm asking is because with the Dyna S installed, the charging system can't keep up with the power demands - system voltage never gets above 12.5 Vdc. However,with points installed, the system voltage runs over 13.5 Vdc at 3000RPM (note: head light is always on).

The Dyna 2000 is supposed to have a variable dwell feature. (Unlike the Dyna S's terribly inefficient fixed dwell, which has to be way over 300 degrees!) So, I'm hoping the Dyna 2000 will use less power in the lower RPM range allowing the charging system to keep up.

Bike Info:
1978 KZ1000, stock charging system (which seems OK, save when running the Dyna S/Dyna green coils), the battery is one year old and seems to be in good shape.)

Thanks in advance for any info.

(edit: spelling)

1978 KZ1000, 1075cc, SS valves, RS34, Dyna S, welded crank, back-cut trans, Kerker System K exhaust (jethot coated)
Last edit: 27 Sep 2008 17:49 by pawkz1k.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2008 18:17 #238985 by MFolks
Check the output of your stator by removing it from the rectifier/regulator,start the engine and take it to 4k rpm.
The output should read about 70 volts A.C. This is a simple way to check for a bad stator.

If this checks o.k. maybe it's time for a overwound stator to meet the electrical demands.

Some websites for stators are:

1. www.ricksmotorssportselectrics.com
2. www.rmststor.com
3. www.electrosport.com (has a troubleshooting page)
4. www.customrewind.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Sep 2008 19:21 - 28 Sep 2008 05:12 #238993 by Patton
pawkz1k wrote:

... trying to determine the power requirements of a Dyna 2000 ignition system. For example, MSD's MC-3 ignition system specifies 4 amps @ 12Vdc (10,000RPM). The Dyna S I currently run uses about 8 amps @ 12 Vdc (nominal, calculate with 3 ohm coils)... with the Dyna S installed, the charging system can't keep up with the power demands - system voltage never gets above 12.5 Vdc. However,with points installed, the system voltage runs over 13.5 Vdc at 3000RPM (note: head light is always on). The Dyna 2000 is supposed to have a variable dwell feature. (Unlike the Dyna S's terribly inefficient fixed dwell, which has to be way over 300 degrees!) So, I'm hoping the Dyna 2000 will use less power in the lower RPM range allowing the charging system to keep up.
Bike Info:
1978 KZ1000, stock charging system (which seems OK, save when running the Dyna S/Dyna green coils), the battery is one year old and seems to be in good shape....

Sorry I don't know about amp usage comparison between Dyna-S and Dyna 2000 ignitions.

But FWIW, the Dyna 2000 ignition includes a pair of 2.2 ohm coils (and requires using graphite resistor core plug wires so as to avoid the electrical interference emitted from copper core wires).

Dyna 2000 from Z1E

With charging rate being a function of input to the battery as governed by the alternator, rectifier and regulator (regardless of power being drawn from the battery), am thinking the charging rate to battery should be equal regardless of whether using points or Dyna-S, and regardless of coil ohm rating, and regardless of voltage being supplied to coils, headlight, etc. But if "system voltage" refers to something else entirely, please ignore this commentary.

Am thinking the minimal voltage required to power the Dyna-S (as compared to none for points) is so small it's immaterial. Perhaps there's a short in the red wire supplying voltage to the Dyna-S.

If not already done, would also assure good ground connection where negative battery cable attaches to the engine or frame, and of course good clean tight connections of both cables to battery terminals. Would also assur correct fluid levels in battery cells and test specific gravity in each cell, and have the battery load tested. As known, a good fully charged battery is prerequisite to conducting accurate charging system tests.

Voltage measured across battery terminals at 4000 rpm should be 14+ volts (regardless of points or Dyna-S, as ignition is independent of charging system).

Am running Dyna-S with green Dyna 3 ohm coils and copper core plug wires on 1973 Z1 and KZ900 with no charging deficiency problems, although Dyna-S is known to consume more voltage than the oem points ignition, especially at lower rpm.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Sep 2008 05:12 by Patton.

More
28 Sep 2008 11:27 #239084 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Anyone with experience running a Dyna 2000??
You are correct, the Dyna S uses a dwell damn near 360 degrees.

You can convert to a factory electronic ignition which has a varying dwell from about 100 deg at idle (way more than enough) to about 120 degrees at high RPM (just about perfect for stock 2.5 ohm coils). The factory electronic ignition also works really well with Accel 3 ohm coils which are very similar to Dyna 3 ohm coils.

You can also make your own ignitor for the factory electronic pickups. This gets the dwell down to about 80 degrees at idle. At high RPM it's still about 120 deg.

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

More
28 Sep 2008 12:30 #239092 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Anyone with experience running a Dyna 2000??
I think Sandy has the 2000 on his 77. Send him a message and he'll help you out for sure.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125