Ignition Timing

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
22 Sep 2008 13:04 #238211 by bubbap
Ignition Timing was created by bubbap
Seems I am always tweaking on my KZ650. For a while I was running at 0 degrees timing. After talking to some friends at the local honda and harley shop they suggesting bumping up my timing to 30. I did that and I kept finding a wall at 3 to 5 grand, it would slug through it bug it was not good. So I bumped it up again to 40 degrees and she seems to like it a lot. Can any one give some good numbers for the degree of ignition timing. I have pods, nearly stock exhaust with 15 pilots and 98 jets.
thanks,

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2008 16:30 #238235 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Ignition Timing
First off, exactly how are you checking the timing?

Initial timing is generally 10 degrees BTDC (the F mark), and the timing advancer generally advances the timing to 35-38 degrees BTDC at 3500-4000 rpm.

The interesting part is that the above info applies to most of the gasoline motors used on the road, car, trucks, motorcycles, etc.

Pressurized and bottle fed motors excepted of course :)

KD9JUR

More
23 Sep 2008 05:17 #238299 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Ignition Timing
The lack of performance you feel is likely due to the bike not being time correctly (buy a shop manual or a Clymers) and the fact that the bike needs to be rejetted for pods/pipes. It is going to run out of gas with those smaller jets.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2008 08:42 #238334 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic Ignition Timing
I have a manual and have used it a lot. I use an adjustable timing light to set the timing. I thought my jets were too small, any suggestions on what to run?

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

More
23 Sep 2008 10:11 - 23 Sep 2008 10:19 #238349 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ignition Timing
bubbap wrote:

I have a manual and have used it a lot. I use an adjustable timing light to set the timing. I thought my jets were too small, any suggestions on what to run?

The timing light is calibrated for crankshaft degrees assuming one spark per two revolutions (old car with distributor). The KZ has one spark per one revolution. You have to divide the knob reading by two. If your knob is set to 40 when your T mark is lined up, you are firing at 20deg Before TDC.

why can't you use the marks on the advancer?
Last edit: 23 Sep 2008 10:19 by loudhvx.

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2008 10:35 #238351 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic Ignition Timing
Ok that makes a lot of sense duh, don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks a lot. I thought 40 degrees sounded too high. Any thoughts on the jetting?

More
23 Sep 2008 11:44 #238357 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Ignition Timing
107.5 mains 17.5 pilot

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)