when hot no spark or weak on #2-#3 wires

More
08 Sep 2008 14:00 #236176 by My1stKZ750
when hot no spark or weak on #2-#3 wires was created by My1stKZ750
1980 KZ750H LTD 4 cyl. When i ride for a long time on a hot day and than shut bike off for several minutes than when i restart bike it runs extremely rough no power. So i pulled plug wires one by one. found 2 3 no spark.
i pulled the 4 wire connector from the IC ignitor. like the book says to test ohms across black and blue i have 500ohms yellow and red i have nothing. but if i let bike sit for an hour or put a fan onit it starts up and runs fine.
any Help??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2008 14:37 #236177 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic when hot no spark or weak on #2-#3 wires
Where physically is the ignitor mounted?
If it's being heated by the engine you could have an intermittant thermal fault.That said,how good are the connections?

1980 KZ500 B2

More
09 Sep 2008 05:39 #236293 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic when hot no spark or weak on #2-#3 wires
Replace the IC Igniter pickup coils and electronic module with a Dyna S ignition. www.z1enterprises.com - sure sounds like the igniter is bad and in need of replacement.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Sep 2009 18:20 #323933 by badr0bot
Replied by badr0bot on topic when hot no spark or weak on #2-#3 wires
I've had this exact same problem off and on as well and it seems to have started again tonite. I put a lot of trust in Wired George so I tested his theory first. Testing my coil secondary resistance, I first thought I had a bad coil since I could not get a circuit between the two pins. fiddling a little more and putting my leads down to the bottom of the pin connector at the base of the connection to the coil body would give me a reading of 12.4K ohms off and on. I figured that there must be a lot of corrosion on the coil pins which are very hard to clean since they are inside the threaded housing of the coil. I put some vinegar around the pins and let it soak while I folded some 400 grit sandpaper to further clean those pesky pins.
That seemed to do the trick. It runs good now. I think it was a bad connection between the plug wires and the coil. That push-on connection has always seemed to be a bit problematic.

87 KZ1000 P1