10.40 volts at the coil

More
25 Aug 2008 20:41 #233998 by Kawman
10.40 volts at the coil was created by Kawman
Hey guys, I have 10.40 volts at the yellow/red wire that is connected to my coils. But before the yellow/red wire splits and goes to the coils I have 12.40 volts. Is there supposed to be a 2 volt drop at the wire when it is connected to the coil? Oh and by the way my bike won't run on the highway. It cuts in and out really bad, and it does this mostly when it is warm outside. I've been through 2 fresh racks of carbs and this is really getting old.:angry: Anybody have any suggestions ??

'78 KZ650B, '06 ZZR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2008 20:52 #234002 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 10.40 volts at the coil
you need to do the "Wired George" relay mod to get the full 12 volts to the coils. www.wgcarbs.com is his website with instructions on how to do it and where to buy the parts.

Your bikes wiring harness is aging and creating problems with resistance in the connectors that handle current flow, what's next is dim headlight operation,dim instrument lights, and slow turn signal operation.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
26 Aug 2008 02:57 #234013 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 10.40 volts at the coil
Kawman wrote:

Hey guys, I have 10.40 volts at the yellow/red wire that is connected to my coils. But before the yellow/red wire splits and goes to the coils I have 12.40 volts. Is there supposed to be a 2 volt drop at the wire when it is connected to the coil? Oh and by the way my bike won't run on the highway. It cuts in and out really bad, and it does this mostly when it is warm outside. I've been through 2 fresh racks of carbs and this is really getting old.:angry: Anybody have any suggestions ??

Hello, Kawman, and Welcome to the forum! :) We're glad you're here! :cheer:

What is the bike's year and model?

What is voltage coming from each side of the dual connector where the individual coil wires plug in?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
26 Aug 2008 07:58 #234047 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic 10.40 volts at the coil
Herr Deacon did a pictorial last week that shows how to wire the relay and install the connectotions.

you should search for that thread. It is quite useful.

KRB)

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
26 Aug 2008 09:44 #234057 by civilengr3
Replied by civilengr3 on topic 10.40 volts at the coil
MFolks wrote:

what's next is dim headlight operation,dim instrument lights, and slow turn signal operation.

Ha, that's exactly what's happening to mine. I was thinking of replacing the headlight with a higher output halogen. Is there any way to fix all this w/o replacing all the wiring? BTW, planning on doing the WG mod this weekend B)

1977 KZ650C
East TN

More
26 Aug 2008 13:51 #234100 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 10.40 volts at the coil
Go to www.wgcarbs.com and for less than $10 usd you can have your bike running better than it has for quite a while.

The older harnesses get corrosion(the green crud) on the electrical connections(bullet,square,and rectangular) and suffer a voltge drop enough to affect coil operation.

Thre was apost a few days ago about this subject asking how difficult this was and after he did it how much better his bike ran. It does work as many people here have done it.

If you have trouble with the wiring drop George a line and he will help you.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Aug 2008 05:34 #234201 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 10.40 volts at the coil
Actually, the email on our website is for customer use... if anyone has a tech question, we point them to our Vintage Bike Tech forum linked off our website. When I am working or reading email, I am either working for a customer or communicating with a customer. It is a professional thing but the Vintage Bike Tech forum is a way for non-customers to get their questions answered on a time-available basis. We have the same policy with our work phone as well and I won't answer non-customer tech questions on that phone either since it takes time away from the folks who pay me. Have to keep this stuff in balance as much as possible.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!