Cross posted: the ol' girl hates me...help!

More
20 Aug 2008 21:36 #233218 by valvesprung
Cross posted: the ol' girl hates me...help! was created by valvesprung
Here is how things started:

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&id=232657&catid=3

Well an awesome friend of mine tinkered with it tonight and found that there is less than battery voltage at the battery when idling (9v or so) and even less still when revved up (7.5v ish)...

I assume this means the stator is toast but the bike only shows 7k miles. What are my options. There's no way I can justify spending $275 on a NOS stator, or $415 for a new one. IS there a reasonable repair that can be made? Thanks guys.

Jordan Green
HM Motorsports

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2008 22:08 #233220 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Cross posted: the ol' girl hates me...help!
Take some time and do this right. Each electrical connection be it fuse clips,bullet connectors or square or rectangular connector needs to be clean and tight including both battery terminals and the chassis ground cable.

The website www.wgcarbs.com has a relay modifications that many people here have done improving the dependability and easier starting of their bikes.

I'd get some 400-600 grit sandpaper,spray electrical contact cleaner(NOT WD-40),some small files and go from one end of the bike to the other not forgetting the handle bar switches that get the green crud of corrosion too.

I have three stator websites if it comes to replacing yours:
1. www.rmstator.com
2. www.electrosport.com
3. www.ricksmotorsportselectrics.com

Electrosports website has a troubleshooting guide that might help.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Aug 2008 21:56 #234536 by valvesprung
Replied by valvesprung on topic Cross posted: the ol' girl hates me...help!
Alright here's what I've found...

-The stator tested out fine and looks to be good to go
-The regulator is likely fine but can't test it as the alternator is putting out no voltage/
-The rectifier test says that when resistance testing with the contacts one way you'll get a high reading and with the other a low. One way I get 1095 on all three wires, and infinite on the other. It would seem that infinite would be too "high", but I'm not sure as there are no specific specs. The rectifier was replaced during the rebuild but I had intermittent issues like this before it's replacement as well (I think)thus me replacing it.

So to recap: battery voltage is 11.59v, when idling it sit around 9.5v, when above 2k rpmish it sit all the way down at 7.5v...stator is good, rectifier should be good...where do I go from here? I traced all of the wiring I could but found no issues there...everything "seems" to be doing it's job...except of course the minor detail of a complete lack of charging voltage...HELP!

Jordan Green
HM Motorsports