Tach occassionally has a mind of it's own...

More
14 Aug 2008 21:00 - 14 Aug 2008 21:01 #232084 by slowman
'79 KZ1000 LTD B - cable tach drive

Sometimes when I'm really getting on the throttle, the tach just sort of stops responding and starts doing what it wants. It is a brand new cable. I don't know if it used to do this before I replaced the cable, because I replaced a cable that was broken in two. This is how it was when I bought the bike.

More descriptive here... I'll get around 7-8K rpm, and the tach will just sort of float around the 7K mark before I shift up. When I do shift up and get back on the power, it does it again right around 7K. Sort of seems like the cable is not being turned, but the drive for it (after the gear) is just spinning around the square end of the cable. If the engine speed is less than 7K, and throttle is less than 100% it doesn't do it.

Anybody know what's going on here?

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!
Last edit: 14 Aug 2008 21:01 by slowman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2008 05:48 #232136 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Tach occassionally has a mind of it's own...
unless there is a reason that the cable is not staying in good contact with the drive ends, both at the engine and the tach, then I think the tach may be bad

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
15 Aug 2008 14:42 #232220 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Tach occassionally has a mind of it's own...
ive seen some tach goofiness caused by people including myself replacing the rubber grommets or tightening them up with washers. if the tach or even speedo isnt mounted properly with rubber mounts it can do some really weird stuff. make sure it isnt mounted too tightly to the base. the rubber grommets get old and shrink and i tried washers to tighten them up somewhat. it doesnt work too good. check that first...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
15 Aug 2008 19:16 #232255 by MFolks
I'd remove the inner drive cable from the tach cable and look for broken wires or burrs as these will cause strange readings. Relube the cable and put it back in the tach cable housing,fire it up and see any difference.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Aug 2008 20:32 #232263 by Patton
Would assure correct fitment of tach cable to tach.

As known, the flanged cable end fits against the tach, and is supposed to be held snugly in position by tightening the knurled cable nut (female threads) onto the tach (male threads).

If the knurled cable nut is cross-threaded or only partially screwed onto the tach, the nut won't tighten as required, which prevents the inner cable from correctly fitting into the tach.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Aug 2008 21:40 #232267 by slowman
Replied by slowman on topic Tach occassionally has a mind of it's own...
Thanks for the suggestions! Will investigate tomorrow.

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!