running light problem

More
03 Aug 2008 16:12 #229915 by keith1
running light problem was created by keith1
1978 kz1000 ltd....no back running lite in run psition.
i pulled back lens and the bulb is good and one filament lites up with either brake pedal. alright so i know the blue wire is good( although as of late my failure lamp indicator lites up when i apply either brake. the running lite problem predates this problem.)that leaves the red wire..
heres the kicker, i turn the key all the way to the right to the lock with the tail lite on section and the damn thing comes on..i had a buddy verify that when i did this it was the other filament lighting up and not the brake filament...so i m figuring wtf? if the red wire had a break in it, it would nt lite up in either position...right?....so i figure( with my limited electrical skills), it gotta be the ignition switch. put a new switch in...16 bucks and ten minutes later, i m no further ahead...
there are only two wires that go back there by the diagram.....i m stumped...the fusebox is dead on either side of that fuse, while the other fuses lite up on either side with a test lite.
any ideas? thanks in advance........keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2008 17:22 #229927 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic running light problem
When you turn the key to the right this is known as the parking light setting on the ignition switch.

You can purchase the same lights on the front of your bike and have them function as running lights except a power source will be required to make it work after you install them.

A wiring diagram is almost a must when tearing into motorcycle wiring. If you plan on keeping the bike a Factory Shop Manual (FSM) is a strong suggestion. One may be purchased at www.repairmanual.com but it might be a few $$.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Aug 2008 18:29 #229956 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic running light problem
uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm, you lost me, i m trying to fix a running lite in the rear....the red one that is encased with the brake lites..i have a wiring diagram for my bike....my year bike has no running lites in the turn signals....just the bulb out back..thanks

More
03 Aug 2008 18:58 #229962 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic running light problem
keith1 wrote:

uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm, you lost me, i m trying to fix a running lite in the rear....the red one that is encased with the brake lites..i have a wiring diagram for my bike....my year bike has no running lites in the turn signals....just the bulb out back..thanks

Either somebody screwed with the wiring or you have the wrong ignition switch. BTW, I got a "replacement" switch for my bike and it was wired wrong. You should get power to the tail lamp with the IG switch in the ON position (middle) and the PARK position (all the way to the right). You may want to OHM out the leads to the switch and see what connects.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Aug 2008 18:59 #229963 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic running light problem
Let's try this again, The tail light is a two filiment light bulb with the brighter one comming on when brakes are applied. The running light function will come on when you start the bike. If it does not look for blown or dirty fuses,corroded connectors, broken,shorted wiring or simply time for a new light bulb #1157 I believe.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Aug 2008 14:15 - 04 Aug 2008 14:21 #230154 by keith1
if i had all those or any of those problems, i would think that the lite wouldnt work with the key all the way to the right....correct? in run or park/lock/lite on juice is going down the same red wire ,through the same fuses and connectors...correct?....just trying to get a handle on this as electrical is not my bag....i m just trying to figure out why in one key position the lite works and in another key position it doesnt when it should be working in both positions and from what i know both key positions send juice down the same wire, through the same fuses, etc..
its gotta be near the headset somewhere i m thinking....i am not good at diagnostics, but i m open to ideas that are explained in detail for the dummy!.........thanks
Last edit: 04 Aug 2008 14:21 by keith1.

More
04 Aug 2008 16:50 - 04 Aug 2008 16:53 #230182 by bountyhunter
keith1 wrote:

if i had all those or any of those problems, i would think that the lite wouldnt work with the key all the way to the right....correct? in run or park/lock/lite on juice is going down the same red wire ,through the same fuses and connectors...correct?....just trying to get a handle on this as electrical is not my bag....i m just trying to figure out why in one key position the lite works and in another key position it doesnt when it should be working in both positions and from what i know both key positions send juice down the same wire, through the same fuses, etc..

The ignition switch is not making the connections that the stock switch should (maybe the wrong switch or the wires are incorrectly connected to the switch on the back terminals). There is ONE wire shown that powers the running light filament. It goes back to the ignition switch and connects there for power. If it gets power in one switch position only (PARK) but not in the RUN position.... the switch is not making the correct connection to that terminal in the RUN position. If the contacts inside the switch are good, it should be connecting.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Aug 2008 16:53 by bountyhunter.

More
04 Aug 2008 17:18 #230188 by keith1
im with ya on this, thats why i switched out the ignition.....emgo special.....i think i am going to try and get a nos kawi switch...i think z-1 is out of stock...they have the sudco s.....i wasnt thrilled with the emgo pods i bought and thus put on the well worn kand n s i cleaned and re-oiled..
i m giving it one more shot with the ignition and then its gonna be a fred sanford deal with a hot wire off the batt and a ground and a switch with a tap conn to the red wire right b4 the tail-lite..:laugh:

More
05 Aug 2008 12:14 - 05 Aug 2008 12:15 #230328 by bountyhunter
keith1 wrote:

im with ya on this, thats why i switched out the ignition.....emgo special.....i think i am going to try and get a nos kawi switch...i think z-1 is out of stock...they have the sudco s.....i wasnt thrilled with the emgo pods i bought and thus put on the well worn kand n s i cleaned and re-oiled..
i m giving it one more shot with the ignition and then its gonna be a fred sanford deal with a hot wire off the batt and a ground and a switch with a tap conn to the red wire right b4 the tail-lite..:laugh:

The EMGO switch for my 750 Twin is the one that was wired wrong for my bike. The engine's ignition only worked in the PARK position. The connector plugged right into my harness, but it sure didn't work.

If you have an Ohm meter and a diagram for your bike, I'll bet you can rewire that EMGO switch to work. I did on mine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Aug 2008 12:15 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Aug 2008 15:18 #230556 by keith1
thanks for the input. i m gonna get a new switch
because i m moderately retarded at electrical diagnostics.i didnt pay a lot for the emgo crap.this will be the third time i ve had the bucket off, so im getting pretty fast at it. be quicker for me just to swap it out....i ll let ya know what happens as soon as i can get a GOOD switch........