Beffuddled (starter doesn't work 750 L3)

More
19 Jul 2008 21:02 #227168 by mbsween
As the title states.....

Prior to this I've had no issue with the starter

Okay, bike is a 83 KZ750L3, electrically its stock. I recently did a valve adjust, messed up the gasket (oil running out the exhaust side of the valve cover), so I fixed the gasket issue and decided to wash off the oil to make sure all was well.

Sprayed S1 cleaner all over the motor, washed her off and then went to start her up. Well I get a big click from the solenoid, but the starter motor doesn't do anything.

So I pop started it to make sure the engine was well, started right up and I rode around for 1/2 a mile or so. Good news, vavle cover leak is fixed. Bad news, starter still doesn't work (I was hoping something just got wet and would fix itself when dry)

Get out the voltmeter, the wire from starter to solenoid is good as is the wire from solenoid to battery. Decided to charge the battery. Same results, press start button, 1 click and that's it.

Get out the manual, solenoid tests out. So I go after the starter, complete disassemble/clean, passes the tests in the manual. Reassemble and reinstall. Exact same results.

Unplug clutch safety switch, no click from relay. Replug safety switch, relay clicks (I'm assuming thats a good test)

Remember a friend has an 82 GPz that he doen't use much, borrow his starter, same thing. Swapped batteries (with and old one thats charged up) same results.

I tried touching the wire from the starter to the positive battery terminal. That did nothing. I used to be able to start VWs like that, not sure it works the same for motorcycles.

So now I'm lost, should I replace the relay anyways? Fuses are good as the bike runs when pop started. Starter clutch seems to work fine (turns forward, but not backwards).

I'm lost, anything else I should be looking at? Should touching the starter lead directly to the + terminal on the battery make the starter go?

Of course vintage days in only 6 days away! Helllllpppp!

Thanks
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2008 21:56 #227171 by mbsween
Replied by mbsween on topic Beffuddled (starter doesn't work 750 L3)
Solved,
Did a whole bunch of reading then realized I never checked the ground side. Cleaned that up and guess what? She starts, so I wasted about 4 hrs and 4 gallons of gas getting a second starter.

Someday I'll learn, someday :)

More
19 Jul 2008 21:57 #227172 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Beffuddled (starter doesn't work 750 L3)
If you put a screwdriver across the two posts on the starter solenoid and the bike cranks and starts (with the ignition switch on)then the wiring that controls the starter solenoid is suspect.

Also unless you have a continuity light or a meter to test continuity any fuse can be bad and not look like it.The fuse(s) will have to be out of the circuit (removed to be tested) and check the tightness and clean the fuse clips.

I'm not familiar with the wiring diagram of your bike but I wonder if a kill switch got wet or water got into the start switch mechanism.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
20 Jul 2008 04:59 - 20 Jul 2008 05:04 #227196 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Beffuddled (starter doesn't work 750 L3)
mbsween wrote:

Solved,
Did a whole bunch of reading then realized I never checked the ground side. Cleaned that up and guess what? She starts, so I wasted about 4 hrs and 4 gallons of gas getting a second starter.

Someday I'll learn, someday :)

Don't feel bad I went thru the exact same scenario with my L-3 last year. Symptoms were the same and after checking everything on the positive side to no avail I decided to check the ground. The bolt that attaches the neg battery lead to the engine snapped off when I attempted to take it off. I just reattached it to a clutch cover screw and problem solved.

Too bad I didn't see this post last night I could have saved you some hassles. Oh well glad you got it fixed, see you at Vintage Days.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Last edit: 20 Jul 2008 05:04 by The Gringo.

More
21 Jul 2008 09:15 - 21 Jul 2008 09:16 #227444 by mbsween
Replied by mbsween on topic Beffuddled (starter doesn't work 750 L3)
Andy,

Thanks, wish I hadn't wait so long to post the issue :laugh:

what bike are you bringing to Vintage days?
Last edit: 21 Jul 2008 09:16 by mbsween.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
21 Jul 2008 10:33 #227460 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Beffuddled (starter doesn't work 750 L3)
Matt, right now the plan is to bring the 76 KZ900 down to try and sell it and I'm going to bring the 80 KZ650 F so I have something to ride around. If I sell the 900 quickly then I may (depending on the weather) bring the Z-1 Classic down on Saturday.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special