Turn Signal Problems

More
14 Jul 2008 16:56 #226154 by rsplatt
Turn Signal Problems was created by rsplatt
Hey all. I am new to motorcycles. Picked up a couple of KZ650s that I am trying to ressurect. The one this post will concern is a 78.

The headlight and taillight seem to be working properly, so for the sake of this post, front and rear will refer to the turn signals.

With the key to the center position, both fronts are illuminated and both rears are dark. I believe this is proper behavior.

With the right turn signal swithed, both front and rear rights blink with each other. Again, appears to be correct.

With the left turn signal switched, the front left goes dark and stays out, and the rear left illumunates but does not blink.

The front left socket is somewhat corroded. Could this be the problem? Can it be cleaned up or would it need to be replaced?

There are plenty of other bugs I will probably need help with in the future. I am used to working on cars, but I have found bikes are definately a breed of their own.

Thanks for any help!

Robby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2008 17:34 #226163 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Turn Signal Problems
Start with the easiest...check the bulb(s)filiaments,and then clean any and ALL corrosion,and try it again.Try a different bulb.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
15 Jul 2008 06:08 #226243 by rsplatt
Replied by rsplatt on topic Turn Signal Problems
Tried moving the bulbs around, with the same result.

I will try cleaning.

More
15 Jul 2008 07:24 #226263 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Turn Signal Problems
Check the ground connection on that bulb.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
15 Jul 2008 11:17 #226311 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Turn Signal Problems
Ok I just trouble shot a similar problem on my bike.

It took me a while to figure it out, but in the end it was obvious.

Like what was said above, check the bulbs and if unsure replace them with new ones.

If that doesn't solve the problem, grab a wire brush and clean up the ground contact points in the rear of the bike.

Sometimes it helps to trim the tip of the wire off and reconnect it to get a clean shiney copper contact point.

Check the relay on the left hand side cover to make sure it is functional.

It wouldnt hurt to check out the fuses as well.

I always replace the bulds and fuses with new ones just to eliminate those areas as possibilities and then move on to the relays and contact points.

If it is not a bulb it is usually a bad ground somewhere.

It is a PITA to solve these little gremlins but you will figure it out eventually.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST