Kz305 points ignition problems

More
09 Jul 2008 06:05 #225102 by sorner
Kz305 points ignition problems was created by sorner
I've replaced the points twice in the past two years because they get corroded. Somehow, water keeps getting in the there and causes problems. I was wondering if it's possible to take the electronic ignition parts from a larger engine and put on my bike so I don't have to deal with points ignition anymore. Has anyone successfully done this? I know I can get the aftermarket electronic ignition brand new, but I don't really want to spend that much money on it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2008 00:56 #229068 by stevenpiper16
Replied by stevenpiper16 on topic Kz305 points ignition problems
I am looking for the same solution. I just purchased one of these hogs and it had been sitting behind his house with 5k miles. The only thing that I know to be wrong with it is the lack of points. It looks as though I can easily purchase a tune up kit that includes points and condenser for about $40 but then I've got the hassle of the points from then on.

With as many people as there are on here doing mods to their bikes there has to be someone who knows of a drop in electronic ignition option from another bike that'll work. Over $100 for a Dyna setup just doesn't seem right for a bike that I bought for $50.

Will an 87 kz305 ignition work with some modifications? Please help!

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
30 Jul 2008 03:52 #229079 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Kz305 points ignition problems
sorner wrote:

I've replaced the points twice in the past two years because they get corroded. Somehow, water keeps getting in the there and causes problems. I was wondering if it's possible to take the electronic ignition parts from a larger engine and put on my bike so I don't have to deal with points ignition anymore.

This may seem like a stupid question but is the points cover gasket there and in good shape? Unless you live in a really corrosive environment, like at the beach, you shouldn't have this problem.

Switching over to an electronic ignition won't really solve your problem because it still needs to be kept dry to function properly and the electronic pickup can corrode just as points do. I've had and still have several 25+ year old bikes that are still running with the original point sets, normally you can just clean them up with a point file or some fine sandpaper and you are good to go.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
30 Jul 2008 05:48 - 30 Jul 2008 05:51 #229096 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kz305 points ignition problems
A faulty condenser (capacitor) will also cause early failure of points.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Jul 2008 05:51 by Patton.