Question about timing.

• Becker
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
06 Jun 2008 00:54 #218288 by Becker
Question about timing. was created by Becker
So I was trying to time my 79' KZ400 H1 using the static method and a light bulb connected to the battery and I noticed that the light doesn't go out when the points open. It gets a little bit dimmer when the points open but it doesn't go completely out. I thought maybe the condensor was bad and grounding out so I disconnected that from the points and no dice. Then I took off the wire that sends a signal to the points and it started working like I expected. Points open no light. Points closed, light. So I timed it without that wire connected but I'm now wondering if my coil is bad and that is what is giving me problems. It tested about 4.2 ohms across the terminals and 12,000 ohms across the spark plug wires. Is this normal??

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2008 03:17 #218295 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Question about timing.
Becker wrote:

So I was trying to time my 79' KZ400 H1 using the static method and a light bulb connected to the battery and I noticed that the light doesn't go out when the points open. It gets a little bit dimmer when the points open but it doesn't go completely out. I thought maybe the condensor was bad and grounding out so I disconnected that from the points and no dice. Then I took off the wire that sends a signal to the points and it started working like I expected. Points open no light. Points closed, light. So I timed it without that wire connected but I'm now wondering if my coil is bad and that is what is giving me problems. It tested about 4.2 ohms across the terminals and 12,000 ohms across the spark plug wires. Is this normal??

Static timing is really only useful to 'get your motor running.'

I've static timed mine a few times and it'll start, but once you use the dwell meter and timing light, you'll see how off you were (and how much more nicely it runs).

PS: I don't know enough about your model to make any specific comments.

Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
06 Jun 2008 11:48 - 06 Jun 2008 11:52 #218369 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Question about timing.
Becker wrote:

So I was trying to time my 79' KZ400 H1 using the static method and a light bulb connected to the battery and I noticed that the light doesn't go out when the points open. It gets a little bit dimmer when the points open but it doesn't go completely out. //// Is this normal??

Not sure how you have this bulb connected?

Then I took off the wire that sends a signal to the points and it started working like I expected.

That's not a signal wire to the points, it's the wire to the negative side of the coil's primary winding. The other end of the winding goes to +12V. If you are bleeding off current to ground through the primary winding, that doesn't sound good.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Jun 2008 11:52 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Jun 2008 12:14 - 06 Jun 2008 12:15 #218378 by bountyhunter
IMPORTANT:

Does this thing run the stock ignition or does it have an aftermarket electronic ignition?

If the latter, you need to disconnect the blue "points" wire before doing your bulb test. In an aftermarket CDI that line goes to the gate of an SCR or some other semiconductor device inside the electronic ignition module. When you connect the bulb test thing to it, you are basically forcing that line to go up in voltage when the rest of the circuit is powered down. That can possibly damage it so I don't recommend it. It also would explain the dimly glowing light since that path won't handle much current.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Jun 2008 12:15 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Jun 2008 15:22 #218404 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Question about timing.
That's perfectly normal :)

When you apply power from a test light to the points the power feeds back through the coil to anything that is tied into that circuit. There's a lot of resistance to current flow going that way, so the light dims.

KD9JUR

More
06 Jun 2008 19:39 #218449 by bountyhunter
steell wrote:

That's perfectly normal :)

When you apply power from a test light to the points the power feeds back through the coil to anything that is tied into that circuit. There's a lot of resistance to current flow going that way, so the light dims.

I think that's right if the test bulb is tied to the +12V battery and the +12V to the ignition is not energized (ignition key off). Any bulbs or stuff hanging on that non-energized 12V feed line which is also tied to the plus side of the coil would allow current to flow to ground.

1979 KZ-750 Twin