I need help setting points, kz650

More
03 Feb 2006 06:19 #21269 by woodyskz
I need help setting points, kz650 was created by woodyskz
can someone send me instructions or directions on setting my points & timing on my '77 kz650 ? I need to know where to rotate the engine to, point gap, adv/rtd adjustments .just a static proceedure will help, but I pretty much would like from start to finish. thanks to all who can help.

Post edited by: woodyskz, at: 2006/02/03 10:07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2006 07:23 #21278 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic I need help setting points, kz650

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
03 Feb 2006 08:02 #21281 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic I need help setting points, kz650
This is as simple as I can recall, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong or forgot something. I don't have my manual at work but Iget plenty of internet time! :)
You will need to rotate the engine by hand, so take off the ignition cover and get a 17mm socket or wrench to use on the bigger bolt. Do not turn engine by the smaller bolt.

Your points gap should be 0.012 - 0.016 in. or (0.3 - 0.4mm). Set the gaps on the high spot of the advancer cam lobe. Gap both sets of points before going farther.

To time the engine pull the #1 plug and push your finger in the hole. Slowly rotate the engine until you feel pressure then stop.
Look in the little window in the points plate and rotate the engine a bit more until the 'F' mark for cylinders 1-4 is lined up with the tab. This is clearly marked on the advancer behind the points plate.
Loosen (but keep it snug) the points plate screws and rotate the plate back or forth until your points just crack open. If you have a meter or test light it is easier and gets you pretty close to running good.
At this point I can't remember if that will be setting the timing for 2-3 at the same time...?? No, I think you will need to rotate the engine to the 'F' mark for 2-3, and then adjust the points themselves, but not the whole points plate like you did for 1-4.

Don't worry about advance-retard, unless you can see the advancer is a rusted up POS.
Hope this helps.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
19 Apr 2007 18:52 #132028 by peterbuiltme@hotmail.com
Replied by peterbuiltme@hotmail.com on topic I need help setting points, kz650
is this the same for a kz1000 1977 engine