Hazard/Blinker issue

More
09 Apr 2008 20:37 #205334 by Duggie7mag
Hazard/Blinker issue was created by Duggie7mag
Just to clear the air, I have a 81 KZ750 project bike I'm rebuilding. My question, however, concerns my dad's 97 Yamaha Virago 1100. I realize this is a Kawasaki forum, but the fact of the matter is that the Yamaha forums suck compared to this one.

The situation...
Dad turned on his blinker the other night as he was turning into the driveway and his hazards came on. He could not get them to turn off. He turned off the key and struggled to get the key out of the ignition. When he did get the key out, the hazards continued to blink. He was able to turn the key to the far left to the fork lock position and get the hazards to quit blinking and he got the key out.

Is this a short, a bad blinker relay, or something else?

Any help is appreciated as I realize I'm crossing the line bringing other manufacturers to this site, but take it as a question from people who share your love for riding! Thanks.

Duggie7mag
81 KZ750 Project Bike
05 Suzuki Boulevard M50
(Dad's) 97 Virago 1100
(Mom's) 81 Honda CM400T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2008 23:41 #205361 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Hazard/Blinker issue
Do you have a wiring diagram? I wonder if the hazards are electrically tied to the signals or not.

Turning into a driveway, slower speed, sharp turn, crank the bars to turn, pulled on a wire? pulled a plug loose? Wires chafing? Was in raining?

27 year old bike. Is there wire damage? My 77 had a main power wire that had burned it's insulation through and was fouling adjacent wires.

Why was the key difficult to remove? Faulty ignition switch? Are there any other parts that may need to be replaced?

Hmmm.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
10 Apr 2008 04:25 #205372 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Hazard/Blinker issue
if I remember the yammies,, I thing the problem is going to be in the key switch, seems like that is where the hazzrads are powered from

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
10 Apr 2008 06:39 - 10 Apr 2008 06:40 #205391 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Hazard/Blinker issue
Spray some WD40 into the key switch. Can't hurt, and will help with the insertion/removal of the key.

I'm a Locksmith, and a KZ addict! B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 10 Apr 2008 06:40 by rstnick.

More
10 Apr 2008 19:11 #205559 by Duggie7mag
Replied by Duggie7mag on topic Hazard/Blinker issue
Thanks for the input. The problem was actually in the switch. There was a lot of gunk inside the hazard switch housing. A little WD-40 cleaned everything up really good and also worked wonders in the ignition switch. The key is sliding in and out with ease and the light problem has not come back. Thanks again for the input.