Replacement for inductive pickup?

More
06 Dec 2007 11:37 #183988 by dnpurdy
Replacement for inductive pickup? was created by dnpurdy
Ah the joys of street parking. I have been out of town for two weeks and had no choice but to park my bike on the streets in chicago. While I was gone, some enterprising individual managed to unscrew my pickup cover (and take it), unscrew my inductive pickup, and cut the wires clean to remove it completely.

Thus, at the moment, I can't start the bike to move it to a storage garage.

So, anyone have advice on what to use to replace the pickup? Brand new one from powersportspro was 150. If I'm going to spend that, are there optical or hall effect sensors that might be better suited as an upgrade? Otherwise, is there somewhere I can get a cheaper up assembly?

(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2007 12:25 #183998 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Replacement for inductive pickup?
I just snagged some from ebay for around $30. There is no substitute for that part in order to work with the igniter.

The Hall-effect and optical pickups are less reliable, in my opinion, to the original reluctors. They require different igniter systems anyway.

Here's some for $50:
ebay pickups

If your old pickups looked like these, then they are the ones. If anything, you may have to elongate the wires or splice the old connector on it.

The 82 Spectre diagram on Kawasaki.com looks like it shows these pickups. They use the small igniter box. (The Gpz and later 750's use an electronic advance unit with a much larger igniter box.)

If you absolutely need it today, I can probably get one to you this afternoon.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/12/06 15:34

More
06 Dec 2007 12:54 #184007 by dnpurdy
Replied by dnpurdy on topic Replacement for inductive pickup?
No no, i don't need it today. I'm just incredibly annoyed that old bikes on the street are apparently part bikes for anyone! It's also a bit odd, because I have a acewell tach on the thing, and it wasn't touched....so random. But thanks for the link, that's precisely what I"m looking for.

(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now

More
07 Dec 2007 13:12 #184105 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Replacement for inductive pickup?
those low lifes should be strung up by there balls, bet that would stop them from messing with peoples bikes

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob