speedometer light

More
30 Nov 2007 18:56 #183288 by denmarc
speedometer light was created by denmarc
My speedometer light is out and I was wondering how to replace it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
30 Nov 2007 20:13 #183292 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic speedometer light
Welcome to KZr denmarc. :)

If you can tell us what year and model bike you have (or better yet, post that info in your profile), it will make it easier to describe how to swap in a new bulb.
It's not really rocket science, but someone here with the same model and year bike might be able to save you some time/hassle with some tips they've used. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
30 Nov 2007 20:23 #183293 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic speedometer light
On a somewhat similiar note, my bright signal bulb in tach(?) stays on at all times. The switch for the headlight is off so it shouldn't be on. Do I have a short somewhere.? I haven't taken the time to really dig in and figure it out, but it's more a nuisance than anything else. Not big on electrics but can't think of why it would always be on. Instruments are 1980 LTD and like denmarc, I have never taken it apart to see how to get in there.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
01 Dec 2007 05:47 #183311 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic speedometer light
racer54, like R4 said. Please put make, year, model in your signature. You say '80 LTD... 550,650,750,1000,11000? Can make a difference! We're more than happy to help, just need a little more info. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
01 Dec 2007 06:26 #183318 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic speedometer light
The instrument bulb issue works differently on different models. On my shaft drive KZ1000E1 ST, I was UNABLE to get the bulb out of the speedometer or tach withough totally disassembling them and removing the bulb from the inside.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
01 Dec 2007 06:38 #183323 by denmarc
Replied by denmarc on topic speedometer light
Sorry, I should have told you the model. I guess dumb runs in the family. The bike is a 77 KZ1000. I am a '58 knucklehead. This is my first streetbike since high school. Thanks for the responses !

More
01 Dec 2007 06:50 #183325 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic speedometer light
Go to your profile and edit your signature. It is helpful to have your bike year/model and your location in this info.

On the 77 KZ1000 models, I think the speedo light is fitted into a rubber-clad bulb holder that pulls out of the back of the speedo/tach. There is an indent ring on the rubber holder that keeps it in place so you may have to do a little prying but as I recall, it does come out.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
01 Dec 2007 08:20 #183331 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic speedometer light
As WG says, but try and be careful with 30 year old rubber. Can be stiff, I use a pocket screwdriver. Really don't want to break rubber and have pieces fall into spedo/tach. :huh:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
01 Dec 2007 09:10 #183347 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic speedometer light
Remove single phillips-head screw holding back cover onto speedo and move cover out of the way.
As Bluemeanie suggested, carefully pull the round rubber "plug" so not to damage it (it should have a single wire leading to it, and is about 1/8~3/16" in diameter) containing the bulb socket from the back of the speedo.
Push in and twist the bulb counter-clockwise to remove it.
Pay attention to the amp rating printed/stamped into the bulbs metal base so you can get the proper replacement.
No sense in getting riped off at a Kawi stealership, since just about every auto parts store (Kragen, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, "crappy tire" up there in Canada) carry them. A pair of these bulbs (you'll have one for a spare) should cost you less than half of what just one bulb will cost you if bought through a Kawi dealer. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
01 Dec 2007 14:49 #183393 by JoeK
Replied by JoeK on topic speedometer light
I mistakenly ordered replacements from the dealer at about $4.00 a piece :blush: before I realized that they were soooo common. Z1 has them 10 for $4.20!

Dealer's are GREAT for a lot of things, but bulbs aren't one of them...

1977 KZ1000 - coolest
1973 Honda CB-750 - oldest
2004 Yamaha FZ1 - fastest
www.jekgraphics.com/gallery/kzr Galleries of So Cal Events
www.VintageBikeOC.com Monthly Meet of Vintage Bikes in Orange County, CA

More
01 Dec 2007 16:35 #183416 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic speedometer light
On this bike, the instruments are off a 1980 KZ1000 LTD. I updated my signature lines to show this. On this bike, there are so many different year bike parts that I really don't know what years some of them came off of. It's a mutt! But I still love the old girl...stayed with me and has given me fewer problems than most things in life.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110