Stator allen bolts

More
19 Nov 2007 13:56 #181756 by Bluemeanie
Stator allen bolts was created by Bluemeanie
My "new" stator cover should arrive today so getting ready. In the process of removing the damaged cover from the stator (3 allen heads inside) two came out hard and one snapped. Was this because of factory locktight or just first time turned in 28 years? I woundn't think locktight as it's not a moving part, just tighten them and that's it?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2007 15:59 #181767 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Stator allen bolts
I did mine.... its a combintation of both
The 3 screws that hold the rotor to the cover do use locktight. The non-permanent type. I got lucky and had no trouble getting the 3 screws out to remove the Stator from the cover. I was told that they could be a real Bi*** and sometimes you have to heat them to avoid breaking the cover. Use non-permanent locktight to install the new rotor in the cover. The torque on the KZ1000 is 87 inch pounds. Should be near the same on your bike. Check the manual if you have one.

I get very nervous taking out any bolts from the bike for the first time in its 25 years of age. Aluminum "pits" and kinda fuses itself together with age. Dont try to loosen old bolts by just pushing on the wrench or allen wrench. That could snap bolts. Anytime Im loosening any bolts after 25 years I give the wrench or allen wrench a sharp "Hit" to "break" the bolt free. Usually a sharp hit with your hand on the wrench will work.

They do use locktight cause the rotor does move around the Stator when its in the bike. If the Stator got loose from no locktight think of all the expensive damage it would do....

:ohmy:

Post edited by: dannyg40, at: 2007/11/19 19:04

Post edited by: dannyg40, at: 2007/11/19 19:10

More
19 Nov 2007 18:21 #181791 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Stator allen bolts
Thanks dannyg40, I need to run down to Home Depot to replace the broken allen head bolt. Guess I can grab some locktight while I'm there. I guess by non permenet you mean the light duty stuff?, I always forget which color is which. I know I use "red" at work.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
19 Nov 2007 18:23 #181792 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Stator allen bolts
Sometimes if you can get some acetone into the threads it will dissolve the thread sealer making removal much easier. You can use "blue" loctite which is kind of the accepted standard, or "purple" which is easier to remove and better for small screws. I don't use any very often. These are not going to come loose ever.

Post edited by: RonKZ650, at: 2007/11/19 21:26

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 Nov 2007 00:40 #181830 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Stator allen bolts
Bluemeanie wrote:

I guess by non permenet you mean the light duty stuff?, I always forget which color is which. I know I use "red" at work.

I used the blue. It says "medium duty" on the bottle....