question about integrated tail light turn signals

More
14 Nov 2007 18:00 #181100 by genesis
I have been thinking about adding integrated tail light turn signals to clean up the rear end of my 650. I tried the search function, but ended up being more confused about this than I was 30 mins ago.
I would like to put a tail light, probably from a zx6 onto the rear end. Because it has two lights I thought it would work. I found several motorcycle integrator boxes that look like they may be just right. They're both around $45 and they also have the "pulsing" brake light which may be nice.
Will these work on my bike? I saw a post about it a few days ago, but don't remember which topic it was (where I got the idea). Will I have to make any mods, or will it plug and play?

Post edited by: genesis, at: 2007/11/14 21:06

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2007 18:46 #181104 by Mark Wing
I used a XZ6 light on my 650. I went the cheep way on integrating my turn lights. I just used some diodes to keep the circuits separated. Costs only a couple of bucks.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.
Attachments:

More
14 Nov 2007 18:49 #181105 by genesis
There it is, the bike that made me want to do this in the first place.
Man, that is one of the nocest bikes I've ever seen:woohoo:

More
14 Nov 2007 19:07 #181109 by Mark Wing
Thank you very much, the light fits our tails real good. My bike has come a long way from this.
Mark

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.
Attachments:

More
15 Nov 2007 06:08 #181149 by rstnick
Mark, do you have a wiring diagram on how you set up that light, using the diodes?
Or even just a play by play and the type of diodes used?

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2007/11/15 09:09

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
15 Nov 2007 10:43 #181190 by loudhvx
There is a way to do it with 4 diodes, but the drawback is that the rear turn signals don't work with the brake light on. It's also possible the front won't work properly when the brake light is used, unless the flasher is upgraded to an electronic type.

Other than that, I don't think there is a way to do it without relays or transistors. That is, not without altering the switch gear in some way (as it's done in old cars).

The problem with building your own, fully functional integrator, is that it costs more than the ones you can buy.

The bright filament on the 1157 bulb is the brake/turn filament and it's somewhere around 2 amps. I chose 5 amps as a safety margin, but 4 amps may suffice.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/11/15 13:57
Attachments:

More
15 Nov 2007 12:31 #181207 by Mark Wing
rstnick wrote:

Mark, do you have a wiring diagram on how you set up that light, using the diodes?
Or even just a play by play and the type of diodes used?<br><br>Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2007/11/15 09:09

I think their called diodes, they only let the juice go one way so I put one on each turn positive wire so the juice didn't cross over to the brake circuit and one on each positive brake light wire after I split it to go to each bulb. With this set up you lose your blinker when the brake is on but only on the tail light. The fronts work normaly.
Mark

Yorba Linda Cal.
Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2007 15:38 #181373 by genesis
I just got one of the integrator kits off ebay for $11 shipped, so I guess we'll see how it works once it gets to me. I'll post pics as well, assuming it works. If not you'll still be reading about how upset I am that i wasted $11. If anyone else is interested there's a guy selling the kit for $15 shipped there as well. wish me well:unsure: