Help with timing light...

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
14 Nov 2007 04:12 #180982 by BoZ650
Help with timing light... was created by BoZ650
I have a 77 kz650b and I am installing a Dyna-s ignition with two new Dyna green 3ohm coils.Looks like Im gonna need a timing light.So,I figured I would ask you guys what a decent timing light,with ease of operation,is good for these old bikes!Here in Buffalo we have:Advance auto ,AutoZone,Napa,Carquest,Sears,Harbor Freight.Im wondering what model to purchase and from where?
Also any tips for the install to a rookie who's never used a timing light in his life!!???
Thanks Guys
Tony

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2007 05:01 #180985 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Help with timing light...
you can use just about any light, the better the light the more money you are going to spend.
I would just make sure it has a inductive pick up.

Nothing fancy about making it work, red to pos black to neg on battery pick up to spark plug wire.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
14 Nov 2007 05:25 #180987 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Help with timing light...
BoZ650 wrote:

...Also any tips for the install to a rookie who's never used a timing light in his life!!???...

Well, from one novice mechanic to another... my very first timing light I bought was the wrong kind... I didn't even know there *was* a different kind... anyway, I bought one that is apparently designed for old engines with different ignitions, and it had a green alligator clip as well as the two battery terminals. Never could get it to work right, and somebody finally told me it was the wrong kind.

So the *other*, correct, timing light comes with two options, regular or self-powered. You probably see the self-powered ones on eBay alot, they use an internal battery. The regular ones that you'll buy at the auto stores have the two alligator clips (red and black) for the battery, and the one big plastic clamp (the *inductive* pickup that BSKZ650 mentioned) for clamping around the spark plug wire that you're checking.

Here's the one I bought from AutoZone:

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2007/11/14 08:26

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
14 Nov 2007 05:40 #180989 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Help with timing light...
I doubt there is a lick of difference from one timing light to another if you buy it in any autoparts store. I have never seen a timing light that wasn't the inductive type. This means there is a spring loaded clip that you fasten around a spark plug wire. You put the battery leads on and when a charge goes down the wire, it fires the strobe light in the timing light.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Nov 2007 05:52 #180991 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Help with timing light...
there are a lot of types, the one I use is digital and I can advance or retard the setting only using the TDC mark, and it was expensive, I also have a sears older model plain light has worked for years.
Years ago I had one that had a spring that you put in between the plug and the wire, it was cheap cheap cheap and a POS.

The self powered ones mentioned are more set up for use with mags, since there is not a battery source to plug into

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
14 Nov 2007 05:55 #180992 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Help with timing light...

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
14 Nov 2007 09:01 #181023 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Help with timing light...
If you get the one with the advance knob, make sure it's taped to zero. If you bump the knob unwittingly, the timing will be off.

Also if you decide to verify the timing using the advance knob, remember the scale on the knob is off by a factor of two. You have to divide the knob markings by 2, to get the right reading.

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Nov 2007 16:28 #181084 by BoZ650
Replied by BoZ650 on topic Help with timing light...
Ok guys thanks alot!!Ill choose one and pick it up but im sure Ill be back for more technical advice.As always you have given me alot of info and again I thank you.Ill let you know how it worked out!!!

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

More
14 Nov 2007 16:54 #181087 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help with timing light...
Be rooting for you on Sunday! :cheer:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Nov 2007 03:18 #181141 by BoZ650
Replied by BoZ650 on topic Help with timing light...
Patton-Are ya talking about the Bills?Im a life long fan but even I am realistic!!The Pats are just too good.They are like a finley tuned Kawi!!!But anything could happen,would definitley be an upset!!!