Help w/points

More
28 Oct 2007 15:20 #178546 by kz650 Bill
Help w/points was created by kz650 Bill
I put new points and condenser on my kz650C3 that has only 5,580 miles. Has been garaged. As the bike was warming up I took the right cover off, like a moron, and shorted out the #1-4 points.
The engine died. I hooked up my ohm meter, one side to ground the other to the points where the condenser is attached. Ohm meter is show continuity at all times. This is even when the points are opened.
When I take the points off of the plate and connect the ohm meter to the points themself and open them, the continuity is broken.
I am thinking I have fried the condenser. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help..Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2007 16:20 #178551 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Help w/points
In order to do a continuity test on one set of points (without un-wiring anything), you have to put a piece of cardboard in the other set of points. This is because there is a circuit loop through the other coil and points. You need to interrupt the loop with the piece of paper or cardboard.

The other option is to disconnect the positive connections at the coils. That will also interrupt the loop.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/10/28 19:21

More
28 Oct 2007 22:59 #178608 by kz650 Bill
Replied by kz650 Bill on topic Help w/points
I will do that. Does that mean I have to put a piece of cardboard between the points to do the ohm meter initial timing?
Thank you ..Bill

More
28 Oct 2007 23:12 #178611 by loudhvx
Yes.

But if you do voltage readings for initial timing, you won't have to do the paper, but then you run the risk of overheating the coils. I prefer the ohm readings for timing since it requires no power on the bike.

More
29 Oct 2007 18:27 #178727 by kz650 Bill
Thank You, I used the thin cardboard. Worked. But now I believe I have something else. Had to turn the large plate with three crews holding the point and condenser counter-clockwise considerably. Idle's fine but not much power. I should look at some more threads unless you have some insite. Peace and thnks much...Bill

More
30 Oct 2007 09:00 #178809 by loudhvx
Turning the plate clockwise means you had to advance the ignition.

Did you check the condition of the advancer mechanism?
Make sure it moves freely. Since you are timing with an ohm meter I assume you don't have a timing light(strobe). A timing light really shows ignition problems like misfires and faulty advancers. You may want to consider getting a cheap one.

More
30 Oct 2007 21:23 #178897 by kz650 Bill
Yes I do have a timing light. I have a Clymers manual that I followed. I do have mechanical skills but have not woorked on a four cylinder bike.
learning as I go. With your help of course. Thanks Bill

More
30 Oct 2007 22:23 #178903 by loudhvx
Play around with the light. Shoot it at the timing advancer while on cylinder 1 or 4. At idle, it should always light up in the same position. If it doesn't, there may be some wear on the points or the advancer.

Do the same for cylinder 2 or 3.