Powering electric vests.

More
26 Oct 2007 07:54 #178221 by barquirt
Powering electric vests. was created by barquirt
How many extra amps are there on these old bikes?

I have a 1977 KZ650B1. The regulator and rectifier are new items from Oregon Motorcycle, the battery is fresh this year as well. I get a consistent 13.8 volts charging at 4,000 rpms and the battery has yet to drop below 12.7 volts after a ride or when it's just been sitting a week or so.

I have a Aerostitch electric vest that draws 5 amps. Can the old girl handle the extra draw or am I going to wind up stranded?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
26 Oct 2007 09:02 #178231 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Powering electric vests.
If you think about it this way, 5 amps is the equivilant of say 3 running lights, which is something people do all the time with no problems. So I/d say you're safe. You just can't go overboard with lots of extras like cb/radios, lots of lights, police sirens, etc.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
26 Oct 2007 09:30 #178246 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Powering electric vests.
Is everything, other than the charging system, stock?
If so, then it should be able to handle it.

If you are running a Dyna S ignition with 3-ohm coils, you'll be getting close to the 20-amp limit, so keep extra fuses.

The best way to tell is put a voltmeter on the battery while it's running with the vest on. Above 2000 rpm you should be above 13v.

If you idle for a long time, you probably want to turn the vest off.

More
26 Oct 2007 09:54 #178249 by barquirt
Replied by barquirt on topic Powering electric vests.
The bike is CLOSE to stock. I have some aftermarket turn signals on it and a Candlepower halogen headlight conversion kit. Otherwise as far as electrics go it's bone stock. I'll hook up a lead and try the voltage test...