My kz1000 pops and other problems

More
14 Oct 2007 14:22 #176154 by wolfpakk
My kz1000 pops and other problems was created by wolfpakk
Need some help on my -79 kz1000 (mk2). When i start the engine cold it pops from the carbs on idle. As the engine gets hotter the pops almost dissapears. The throttle respons is not very good ether. Things i have checked:

coils 4.1 and 4.0 ohm on primary side
coils 14k ohm and 15k ohm on secondary side
voltage to coils 12.1V
ballast resistor 2.1 ohm
(Is the total resistens 6.1 on the primary side then??, must be to high in that case?)
New battery

Valve clearence within spec.
Compression 1. 125psi 2. 130psi 3. 130psi 4. 120psi

carb 28mm mikuni with pods:
mains 130 (small type)
pilot 17.5

I have a 4-1 v&h

Please help me keep this old bike on the road :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2007 10:49 #177086 by wolfpakk
Replied by wolfpakk on topic My kz1000 pops and other problems
Come on people, please help me resolv this :( I would bet on the coils, as the total resistance is about 6 ohm.
Here is my plan:
If i unwire the ballast resistor, the resistence at each coil would be about 4 ohm. If the bike works better that way i can order the green dyna coils and probably the problem is solved. But if it doesnt work better, could the coils still be broken and the dyna coils still be the solution???

Give me some input B)

More
22 Oct 2007 00:52 #177509 by doublewideeddie
Replied by doublewideeddie on topic My kz1000 pops and other problems
popping through the carbs normally is a timing issue. spark too soon.

More
22 Oct 2007 07:19 #177547 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic My kz1000 pops and other problems
Popping through the carbs may be caused by any number of things... your compression is on the low side... I have a 79 with MK II engine (in an shafty) and compression is about 140 PSI per cylinder. This could be contributing to poor combustion.

OK... the spark. Your total resistance at the coils with ballast resistor and the old stock coils should be about 4 Ohms. The OEM coils should be 2.5 Ohms primary resistance. The ballast resistor is in line with the power to the coils. Higher than normal (specified) resistance will cause a weaker spark and this could be contributing to poor combustion as well. Try bypassing the ballast resistors as an experiment... take off the wire into the ballast resistor and tie it to the out put wire up by your battery box. See if this makes a difference.

Last cause of popping might be the jetting or tune of the carbs. Out of balance? Mixture screws set so that pilot mixture is lean? Either can also lead to popping. Also, you could have a small air leak in the vacuum caps, mixture screw orings or carb holders or even in the exhaust pipe gaskets which would cause popping. I think it is more likely air/fuel mixture since it is worse when cold. Last, the main jets are too big and will cause poor performance. Switch to some smaller main jets; probably the large style at about #110 or #112.5 size.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!