• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
29 Sep 2007 20:17 #173604 by jjdwoodman
83 Voyager wiring problems was created by jjdwoodman
Hey everyone!

Well I've been looking into a few electrical problems with the Voyager.

First, the radio doesn't work. I don't really care but it just bugs me to have something and it not work.
I pulled all the lights out of the fairing and checked all the bullet fuses as well as the ones behind the seat. All look good. The tuner and seperate tape deck both work, but nothing to the speakers. It looks like they both plumb into an amp unit as recievers, which powers the speakers.

The headlight has been hard wired into the dash lights so I have no hi/low beam just low:S

The cruise indicator comes on when you pushthe button, but it doesn't work.

The gas guage goes on the fritz between 3/4 and 1/2 tank and shows empty, which I think is probably the sending unit.

So my question is did they make anything like an EVTM for this bike, or am I just gonna have to try to work with something like a Haynes manual? Does anyone know of a wiring schematic in downloadable form?

Thanks in advance,

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
04 Oct 2007 18:54 #174601 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic 83 Voyager wiring problems
Bump

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
05 Oct 2007 08:24 #174703 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic 83 Voyager wiring problems
the radio volume can be muted on the handlebar control box. the voyager is a very complicated bike. I advise you to buy a genuine kawasaki service manual. it is worth twice it's weight in gold

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
05 Oct 2007 08:48 #174710 by jjdwoodman
Thanks Trivot,
I already went through the mute on handlebar scene with no dice. No bad fuses. But I thought if it's not the speakers blown (which I don't think they are) then I would find the problem to be in the amp unit since both the radio and tape decks work, but no sound. (unless the handlebar mute button is messed up)

I'll be trying to get a Kaw manual in the meantime.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
05 Oct 2007 11:11 #174729 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic 83 Voyager wiring problems
Also check the tape/radio button if that has a tricky connection it will cause the sound not to come out of the speakers.

do you get sound with the cb on? oh, does it have a cb installed?

I have had to fiddle with sticky buttons before on some voyagers too.

dont forget the passenger control box in the back it may have a button activated

More
05 Oct 2007 12:51 #174744 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 83 Voyager wiring problems
I don't think that it would do any good to have a Factory Service Manual for the Voyager radio as I believe that thing has a separate manual. I believe I have one up in the shop somewhere. This is the procedure laid out for getting a radio fixed from the AVA website
www.amervoyassoc.org/ :

Clarion Radio or CB Service Procedure

You can no longer send your Voyager Clarion Radio or CB directly to Clarion for service.

Your options for receiving service or repair for your Radio (AM/FM Cassette, or CB) are as follows:

1. Take your AM/FM Cassette or CB to a authorized Kawasaki dealer with a complete description on what is wrong with it and have the dealer send it in to an authorized Clarion repair center along with a flat fee of $70 (as of 4/27/07) for either a AM/FM Cassette or CB. This $70 flat fee will cover any repairs needed to your AM/FM Cassette or CB except if damage was caused by water or abuse, in which case additional costs may apply. You will need to pay the dealer the $70 flat fee and they will then send that into Clarion, there will probably be additional dealer fees for this service.
2. Log on to www.clarion.com or call 1-800-462-5274 to locate the nearest authorized Clarion repair center. You may then take your AM/FM Cassette or CB directly to the repair center for service, however, inquire about what the cost may be since the $70 flat fee may not apply in this case, it may cost you less or more.

To obtain the latest procedure for Clarion service, you can also call the Clarion Repair Center Customer Service number at:

1-800-347-8667

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
05 Oct 2007 12:58 #174746 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic 83 Voyager wiring problems
Hi JJ,
The 1200 Voyagers have a lockout on the cruise control that only allows the cruise to work in top gear.
Any chance that the problem with the cruise?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
05 Oct 2007 17:56 #174814 by jjdwoodman
Thanks for all the info guys!

First with the radio: I seem to be missing something.
I don't find either a radio/cassette button, nor do I see any passenger controls.:S It does not have the cb, though I might would actually use that and the wiring is all there.

The tuner on the handlebars works, but not on the radio. And I can't get it to switch from am to fm or between presets, but again, with the handle bar control, the seek seems to work.

I can't figure out how to set the clock.

Now about the cruise, it doesn't work in O/D either, but when I cycle the key to ON, the cruise indicator lights up. There is the cruise button above the handlebars, and I can cycle the indicator on/off with that. What should I do to set the cruise. None of this is in the operators manual.

Thanks for all the help. Just don't know what I'd do without you guys.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
13 Oct 2007 15:15 #176042 by jjdwoodman
Anyone know how to set the cruise or the clock maybe??

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
13 Oct 2007 16:35 #176048 by jjdwoodman
figured out the clock, just doesn't work, but the cruise directions are still elusive, even in the Kaw manual.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
16 Oct 2007 11:00 #176452 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic 83 Voyager wiring problems
Sorry jjd, yes I'm bored but electrical is not my thing. My cruise control is a steady hand! :woohoo:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
16 Oct 2007 11:24 #176465 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 83 Voyager wiring problems
The clock is set by pushing two buttons... one is the SET button and has a red icon of some sort and the other is clock button. The bike must be running or at least the ignition switched on, if memory serves... then you push the tuning button as I recall... up changes hours and down minutes (I don't do this much and have to figure it out but that is basically it).

For the cruise, you turn the unit on using the ON button on the tank mount console. Then you push the set/accelerate toggle towards the front of the bike... The green light on the left on the console will come on when you set the cruise... if it doesn't come on, there are bunches of switches that need to be checked; fortunately, it is seldom the cruise itself that is the problem. The first two switches are both the brake and clutch switches. Push first the brake lever AWAY from you... opposite how you would actuate the brakes while trying to set the cruise. Do the same for the clutch. This has to be done in overdrive as that is the only gear the cruise works in as I recall and there is yet another switch for gear sensor which connects to the cruise. There is yet another switch somewhere and the main connector for the cruise unit that can also be cleaned if the unit doesn't work.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!