Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark

More
30 Sep 2007 17:57 #173804 by jack2006
Replied by jack2006 on topic Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark
Well guess what...I changed the wires from the IC IGnitor to the coils and there is spark...finally yeah !!!:cheer:

I think one of the coils is going so i'll have to change it but FInally at last I started the bike (after four years). So the wiring diagrams for the igntior worked great all is working fine. (I have a hard enginie knock and the bike will stall if i take it off choke but I'll post that in the appropriate section.)

Thanks to loudhvx i have it working again...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2007 18:00 #173807 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark
Check the connections at the coils. If you have Dyna coils, they are notorious for shorting against the frame if they are mounted too close.

Also check the voltage to make sure the battery is not over 15v.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/09/30 21:01

More
01 Oct 2007 20:31 #174086 by jack2006
Replied by jack2006 on topic Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark
I think you're right on the money...I got the bike working...rode it for 15 clicks and now 2-3 has no spark again...(i switched it from 1-4 which had no spark...) I changed the wiring and all...It had spark but now it's gone...I'm pretty sure now the coil has crapped out...

As you know I have a KZ550 (81 A2) which aftermarket coils do you suggest...I mean I know there are the Dyna...dytech <---i think and whatever else...

I just don't know which model of the coils I should buy

If you could post a link to the product I could then match it (if i buy it locally)

Thanks...I'm SOOOOOOO close

More
02 Oct 2007 09:15 #174147 by loudhvx
This is what I use;
Accel coil kit

But it's expensive and requires some patience to make the wires the right length etc. It can be made to mount in the stock way as the 550 coils, using the 550 coil mounting hardware. (You have to grindthe spacer a little to get a perfect fit.) In the end, however, I think it is the best looking installation, not because of the color, but because I can make the wires exactly right.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/10/02 12:18
Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2007 09:19 #174149 by loudhvx
Here's a side view:

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/10/02 12:19
Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2007 09:22 #174150 by loudhvx
These are probably more popular:
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=210

They cost a lot less, but need wires.
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1983

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/10/02 12:23

More
08 Oct 2007 18:31 #175296 by jack2006
Replied by jack2006 on topic Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark ***Solved
Sorry for not writing earlier on the update to the problem...

I took the system through all checks I could think off...it seemed like a coil. However, I was a little sceptical and decided to take the bike to a pro...

In 30 minutes I knew I was wrong...All this trouble with no spark on one pair was with the Advance mechanism which decided to sieze on me...The reason why I initially had spark on 1-4 and not 2-3 was because of that. I remember moving the advance manually for some reason...and i forgot about it...and after I assebmled all back together I had no spark on 1-4 but on 2-3...which now I know was because I moved the advance manually to the other position...

Anyhow...the mechanic only charged me for an hour's labor...he freed up the siezure and I didn't have to buy any new parts...The bike needs a tune now but that can wait...I've been riding for 4 days straight...this is the first time I had a chance to write about the solution.

Anyhow thanks to all of you for your help...and especially to loudhvx...