Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark

More
22 Sep 2007 16:14 #172225 by jack2006
Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark was created by jack2006
Ok some of you have read my post about the 1-4 having no spark. Well I changer the ic ignitor with one I made from diagrams found here on the site. When checking for spark at first...it gave a beautiful blue spark...great...when i went back in the morning tring to actualy start the bike...it made some promising noises but just as soon as that started the friggin spark stopped again.

I checked the IC again and I did find a diode cracked...now I don;t know if the actual ignitor control units are broke now cuz i fried them again or it's just the little diode that broke...

Anyhow what is going on here I am literally crying ... i don't know what else to do...(coils..are fine).

Something is making the 1-4 (black and yellow/red) side screw up...

PLEAS please help im going mental

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2007 20:01 #172276 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark
If one of the diodes cracked, it was most likely hit with 12 volts through a loose wire contact or some other short. Make sure your pickup wires do not contact any other wires.

Also, if it started and ran for a second, it's possible the regulator is bad and the voltage is way too high.

Occasionally I come across a bad diode... like 1 out of 1000 or so.

Does the resistor look burned?
Are you sure it's a 1000-ohm resistor?
The diodes are rated at 1 amp, but the circuit only uses .01 amp. You are using the recommended diodes from the diagram, correct?

I don't suppose you could post a photo of the circuit?

You can test the HEI ignitor modules without the diodes and resistor. Disconnect the pickups from the G terminal. Then just briefly touch a 12v source to the G terminal. Each time you do that, there should be a spark on that circuit. The touch need only be a split second, like a hundredth of a second, but longer is ok.

Also, you are not trying to jumpstart the bike are you?

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/09/22 23:04

More
23 Sep 2007 11:06 #172371 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark
Im feelin your pain.. Got that harness on my kz550, got as far as the lights workin. Cant seem to figure out how to get it to crank tho. Working on that today. Good luck. I would say go back over everything with a fine tooth comb, make sure everything is as well insulated as can be?

More
23 Sep 2007 20:15 #172420 by jack2006
Replied by jack2006 on topic Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark
Yeah man Electrical is hate to say it but F'ed up, it is driving me mad if it wasn;t for soul savers like Loudhvx...i would be locked up by now.

loudhvx: I looked at the pickup coils today...and found, WATER in the lead wire jacket...the blue,black,yellow and whaterver one (that goes to the ic ignitor)...It must have gone in there when i was washing the bike...I drained the water out of it...I think that might have shorted something although even in the jack the wires are in plastic so i don't know if that would have shorted them...

Another culprit might have been an improper ground...The contraption i created (wish i had a working dg camera cuz i broke it yesterday)only grounds to the aluminum plate...I think I;ll just ground everything to the battery or something like that to be sure...I pray it will solve this nightmare.

Again thanks for all the tips...TTY tomorrow

More
24 Sep 2007 18:48 #172661 by jack2006
My bad it wasnt the coils ... its the thingy where the four wires come out of...there are two magnets there, and the shaft turns to make current I guess...I don't know what it's called...(im tired). I checked everything and everything is ok but still the 1-4 has no spark...

The only thing i can still think of is the original problem that got me stuck. My battery was being drained like crazy...it is the reason why i had to boost the bike from a car.

Now come to think of it the battery must not have been recharged by some faulty thingamajigy, that takes care of recharging the battery, now i think its a stator. But could that be the problem limited to 1-4 or would it be an overall electricity brakedown.

See 2-3 works just fine.

More
25 Sep 2007 08:40 #172743 by loudhvx
Sounds like you have more than one issue right now. That makes it very hard to troubleshoot. If you jumped it from a running car, you may have fried the regulator/rectifier. That may have also fried the ignition circuit. You will need to start doing some real troubleshooting with a volt meter.

Have you replaced that diode?

Have you done the ignitor test I mentioned above?

More
25 Sep 2007 15:02 #172818 by jack2006
Here is what i have done so far:

1. Replaced Regulator/Rectifier
2. Changed singed wires
3. Got a new battery
4. Replaced IC Ignitor
4a. Replaced both diodes and resistor

As far testing the IC Ignitor, i did test it. Both modules did not spark when i ran a wire from the positive battery terminal to the G terminal on each module.

However there is spark on the 2-3 so i'm curious if that is at all possible even if I fried the IC Ignitor once again (seeing that there is no spark at the G terminal)

Post edited by: jack2006, at: 2007/09/25 18:04

More
25 Sep 2007 15:30 #172821 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Goint MENTAL!!!! No spark
jack2006 wrote:

...Something is making the 1-4 (black and yellow/red) side screw up....

Had difficulty isolating a similar problem with 1/4 coil on my kz900. Although the yellow/red wire looked perfect externally (looking at the insulation), the inside wire underneat the insulation was frayed and broken in the short section between the connector and coil terminal. This caused intermittant firing and not-firing. Found it by manipulating the wire with ends connected to an ohmeter -- could tell nothing by feel of the wire, but saw the meter needle jump back and forth. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Sep 2007 21:37 #172884 by loudhvx
jack2006 wrote:

As far testing the IC Ignitor, i did test it. Both modules did not spark when i ran a wire from the positive battery terminal to the G terminal on each module.

Yeah, something has to be wired wrong then.

You were just briefly touching battery voltage to the g terminal, correct?

More
26 Sep 2007 18:36 #173064 by jack2006
Yeah just for a sec...hmmm...if it's just the wiring I'm gonna shoot myself...i'll replace the wiring going from the IC ignitor to the coils then both wires and see if that has any effect...

What are those two components that attach to the magnets on the right hand side (the blue/black and yello/red ... wires come out if it and go into the IC Ignitor)... i'm thinking if it;s not the wire it might be those thingies I just don't know what they are called

Anyhow I'll change the wires (although I did check them with an ohm meter and both seemed fine)

More
26 Sep 2007 18:46 #173067 by loudhvx
They are technically called reluctor coils, but they can be called pickups or pulser coils, or pulsers.

By the way, if you disassembled the pulsers and magnets, you need to know the magnets have a specific polarity and have a specific orientation when they are installed. I have photos if you need to check that.

I hate to say it, but there is a good chance that whatever burnt out the diode also burned out the pulser. They are not designed to take any current at all. Make sure they have no direct connection to battery voltage.

Also, just to be sure, this is the diagram you are using, correct?
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/09/26 21:52

More
27 Sep 2007 20:20 #173263 by jack2006
Thats's correct I'm using your diagram to the T.
Polarity aha ok maybe thats whats wrong with them...i don't know but i guess I have to check everything. I'll get working at it this weekend...