Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

speedometer problems 14 Oct 2005 09:51 #1701

• LP440
  • LP440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
well....looks like my speedo is getting ready to dive.....today on the way to work....I noticed that my speedo was pegged at 80 mph on my 81 KZ440ltd......problem was I was only going around 40 or so. Anyway....looks like the odometer is working ok...both the total and trip count....and the tach is fine.

I'm not used to seeing a speedo fail by always pegging out.....I thought they would just not register any speed if their is something wrong.....

Anyone have any suggestions as where to check or if its worth repairing rather than replacing? I looked on ebay and nothing there.....tio be honest ....if I replace....might as well be new.:unsure:

Post edited by: lp440, at: 2005/10/14 12:52

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

speedometer problems 14 Oct 2005 15:36 #1774

• tx440
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Your speedo problem will not be an electrical problem. If you follow the cable coming out of the back of the gauge you will find that it runs to a speedo gear drive on the front wheel. you might check your cable and/or the drive gear on the front wheel. Also there is a guy that sells NOS speedos and tachs on ebay, copy and paste the URL below and it will take you to one of his auctions.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Speedom...emZ4581514455QQrdZ1k.

speedometer problems 14 Oct 2005 17:03 #1792

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Try taking off the speedo and shaking it around a bit. I had a similar problem and found that where one of the lights went into the body of the speedo a little metal sleeve which would normally surround the bulb inside the speedo had come adrift and was jamming the works inside and so my needle always pointed to 40. It is possible to open a speedo and repair. Search the archives. I think wiredgeorge did an excellent article on repairing speedos. If he still has it maybe he could put it in the filebase here,
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Page: